Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I guess they think they can peel off enough white people
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12679110&mesg_id=12679471
12679471, RE: I guess they think they can peel off enough white people
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:44 AM
>due to nostalgia but ionno...
>
>I can't see them remaking a black classic using white people
>and expecting us to run out and see it.

I'm thinking they're going after kids and parents. The "ooh, Mommy, I wanna see it!" factor. The parents were children when the 1982 movie came out, so that's a targetable audience too. The people old enough to actually remember Annie when she was a thing...nah, most of them ain't going like you said.

But what black classic could you even remake with white folks? That's the issue. Most American films with predominately Black casts are so specific to the Black experience that they don't work with white actors in the parts. I mean, "Carmen Jones" is already "Carmen". They did try inverting "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" as "Guess Who", which didn't work so well.

White "Shaft"? There's hundreds of cop dramas in that vein. Robert Blake had a whole TV show.

White "Coming to America"? "Borat", I guess...?

White "Life"? Laurel & Hardy made it in 1931, it's called "Pardon Us". I'm sure there's others.

The musical version of "Annie", on the other hand, is so culture-nonspecific that you could cast practically any little girl and grown man of any race or ethnicity as the two leads and the story still makes sense.

>
>I know they don't need to do that but I'm just talking
>hypothetically.
>
>maybe the public will defy the critics but I seriously doubt
>it.

That was what I was typing in the OP but forgot to finish - just because it's getting bad reviews (_very_ bad reviews) doesn't mean the public may not like it. After all, these folks flocked to go see four awful films in a row about robotic toys from the 1980s. Anything is possible.