Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe sun is not coming out tomorrow for the new "Annie" (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12679110
12679110, The sun is not coming out tomorrow for the new "Annie" (swipe)
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-17-14 10:46 PM
It was at 21% rotten this morning. Now it's at 19%.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/annie_2012/

This isn't surprising, since "Annie" was leaked during the Sony hacks but was hardly downloaded. This film could very well lose a ton of money, and Sony'll blame it on the Negroes if it does.

Be the reviews as they may, a bad movie doesn't neccesa

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20883399,00.html

Annie (2014)
MPAA RATING: PG
Reviewed by Jason Clark on Dec 17, 2014

ANNIE Rose Byrne and Quvenzhané Wallis
Image credit: Barry Wetcher
ANNIE Rose Byrne and Quvenzhané Wallis
More reviews about this film POWERED BY MRQE.com
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

EW's GRADE
D
DETAILS
Release Date: Dec 19, 2014; Rated: PG; Length: 118 Minutes; Genres: Comedy, Musical; With: Rose Byrne, Jamie Foxx and Quvenzhane Wallis; Distributor: Columbia Pictures

The creators of the depressing, bling-happy redux of the beloved musical Annie make their unsavory intentions known in the very first scene: A chirpy little red-haired girl who is a doppelganger for Annies past delivers an earnest class report while fellow students roll their eyes. Apparently, in big, bad 2014, cheerfulness has no currency. Cut to our new Annie, played sincerely—if a bit stiffly—by former Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis, who won our hearts with her wide-eyed naturalism in 2012’s Beasts of the Southern Wild. She gets up in front of those same classmates and wows them with a hip-hop-styled discourse on the New Deal. She's a streetwise 10-year-old moppet with the smarts to snag extra time on a NYC Citibike, but not savvy enough to look both ways before crossing the street.

After narrowly escaping being hit by a car, she's rescued by cell phone magnate Will Stacks (Jamie Foxx, game but looking vaguely embarrassed). He's running for mayor with the help of his kind, lonely assistant (Rose Byrne) and his over-caffeinated aide (Bobby Cannavale). Once Annie escapes the clutches of her boozy, tarty caretaker at the orphanage, Miss Hannigan (Cameron Diaz, in her third overly strident comic role this year), she quickly finds that rich people live pretty sweet lives, what with their digital animal wallpaper and movie premieres. (Speaking of which, the intentionally over-the-top-ridiculous film-within-a-film starring Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, and Rihanna looks way more fun than the main attraction.) And so, the once-heartwarming story of an orphan girl who craves the comfort of a real family is now a smash-cut commercial for the one percent, with lots of head-smackingly unsubtle product placement that never lets us forget how crassly commercially the whole enterprise is.

Musically, Annie is a disaster. The melodious original score by Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin gets the full-on Autotune pap treatment, which takes to these songs about as well as a lute to death metal. You won't ever hear a worse rendition of ''Easy Street'' than the one performed by Diaz and Cannivale—I promise. (The Sia-branded new songs feel much more at home.) One can only hope that Byrne, Diaz, and Cannavale had ''movie musical'' on their bucket lists and will never tarnish their talents in such a way again. Aside from an unintentional homage to Zoolander that is so tone-deaf it'll make you guffaw, Annie goes out of its way to make viewing it a hard-knock life...for us. D

Originally posted Dec 16, 2014
Comments 256
12679115, I've been trying to watch this
Posted by RS, Wed Dec-17-14 10:56 PM
Since the hack.... I'm currently 40 minutes in..... After like 2 weeks. This is just bad, bad, bad.
12679118, the original is meh to me so i damn sure wasn't about to watch this one.
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Wed Dec-17-14 10:57 PM
the sun will come out & hard knock life is heat tho.
12679123, The original - I didn't know this - was "meh" to everyone
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-17-14 11:01 PM
who wasn't a little kid back then.

It got mediocre to poor reviews too.

I still don't understand why they would cast Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan. Did Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Poehler, etc. all turn Sony down?
12679129, ha i didn't know that either
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Wed Dec-17-14 11:10 PM
i thought it was award winning or something
i guess the broadway show was better (the movie was adapted from the broadway show, right? i don't remember)

and yea that's definitely a weird casting choice.
as much as i didn't really care for the original
carol burnett definitely stood out and is the best part of the movie to me
she fit the role
12679139, RE: ha i didn't know that either
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-17-14 11:32 PM
>i thought it was award winning or something
>i guess the broadway show was better (the movie was adapted
>from the broadway show, right? i don't remember)

They still got some award nods (Best Production Design and Best Song Score), but yeah, the original Broadway show is considered much, much better.

>
>and yea that's definitely a weird casting choice.
>as much as i didn't really care for the original
>carol burnett definitely stood out and is the best part of the
>movie to me
>she fit the role
>
Agreed.
12679131, what?!!! How in the entire fuck is she gonna play Mrs. Hanningan?!
Posted by sixteenstone, Wed Dec-17-14 11:14 PM
no way
12679365, way.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 10:41 AM
And by all accounts, she is awful.
12679316, it was "meh" to me a kid too
Posted by Calico, Thu Dec-18-14 10:05 AM
but i'm guessing lil boys were not it's target audience...
12679353, I'm pretty sure they wanted "family" audiences to see it
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 10:32 AM
so it should have been able to play to everyone

(otherwise, what is the point of casting stars like Carol Burnett and Bernadette Peters, who children wouldn't have given two shits about?)

Like, this new version. It's clearly meant to be holiday family fluff; something safe and cute to see with the kids and Grandmama and all of them.
12681544, A 'meh' here as well
Posted by lfresh, Sat Dec-20-14 08:51 PM
As a little girl
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12679981, the first 20 minutes or so were good. But once the rich guy got her it was
Posted by Cenario, Thu Dec-18-14 04:50 PM
meh.

The alley way with the dog was my scene tho.
12679133, I liked it as a kid, but it wasn't particularly memorable
Posted by sixteenstone, Wed Dec-17-14 11:18 PM
The only reason I really did remember it cause of the trick I played on my friend.
I ran into her house with a hand tape recorder. I recorded a message in another voice and told her it was my long lost cousin.
In the message I was saying how I was at the orphanage with Mrs. Hanningan and needed help getting out.
I convinced her we needed to take the bus to downtown Chicago and rescue her as soon as possible.
Our plan got foiled when some other neighbors saw us trying to walk to the bus stop. lol
12679136, lmao
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Wed Dec-17-14 11:22 PM
aw man
12679135, shit looks straight to dvd level.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-17-14 11:21 PM
12679140, that'd be an expensive ass DVD
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-17-14 11:33 PM
12679216, for the longest i thought it was a made for tv movie
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Thu Dec-18-14 08:11 AM
12679337, it SHOULD have been a made for TV movie
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 10:19 AM
What next? Beyonce as Mary Poppins?

White people don't like it when you fuck with their classics.

12679348, Disney already made a TV version, in 1999.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 10:29 AM
Sony made this film because Will Smith was one of the producers and Will's one of their biggest stars. Recall that Willow Smith was supposed to star in this originally.

And how can white folks not want you to "fuck with their classics" when white folks greenlit, co-produced, and wrote the movie?
12679376, TV aint film and I'm talking about white america
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 10:50 AM

you aren't going to see a ton of white people running out to see this shit.

12679397, maybe not because of the bad reviews, but
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:02 AM
Sony's actually been doing fine with movies for adults starring black folks recently, so there was a possibility that streak could extend to a kids' film too.
12679392, Also, Mary Poppins can never again be adapted to any format
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:01 AM
by an American ever again.

The author P.L. Travers put that in her will after her experiences with Walt Disney in the 1960s.

So no, no Beyonce as Mary Poppins.
12681547, same
Posted by lfresh, Sat Dec-20-14 08:52 PM
Like the Peter pan joint
Which I also had zero interest in
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
12679142, When I saw the preview my first comment was "Oh my....
Posted by daryloneal, Wed Dec-17-14 11:36 PM
..babygirl can't sing".

Can't really see myself sitting through an hour of that.
12679150, It just seems like such an inevitably massive step backward.
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Wed Dec-17-14 11:57 PM
But I think that's just how it is for kid actors who are that good at it. They get a breakout awesomely mature role, nail it, but then they have years of still being a kid in kid roles that they were born bigger than.

Like Dakota Fanning after I Am Sam. How many dead serious little black girl roles are being written every year?
12679210, huge fan of the original and annie in general...not gonna ruin my memory
Posted by R A i n, Thu Dec-18-14 06:56 AM
nope.

actually owned the original double album of the musical which had my fav song 'maybe'. maybe was not in the movie.
12679211, Fuck that. The movie was good. Cute for the youngsters
Posted by Geah, Thu Dec-18-14 07:00 AM
I have seen it twice.
12679293, my boy texted me last night sayng "we are having movie night on
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Dec-18-14 09:50 AM
Saturday. We are showign the new movie Annie, so bring the kids if you are free."
I was like 'naw bruh. We are going to the theaters to support the film"
12679356, he was going to show the bootleg at the house for "movie night"?
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 10:34 AM
I'm sorry, but that's a mess, lol.

If he ever complains about a lack of black representation in film or TV, you have every right to give him the side-eye
12679380, hell yea.. and this mofo rich
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Dec-18-14 10:53 AM
no bs.
dude aint got no reason to be supporting anythign bootleg.
12679388, that's how he stays rich...lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 10:58 AM
12679412, that's just tacky.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:11 AM
If you actually want to see the film, you should pay for it. ESPECIALLY if we're talking about a group showing.

The whole "vote with your dollars" routine.
12681428, this is bird brained logic
Posted by deejboram, Sat Dec-20-14 05:28 PM
if my boy has an advanced release of a film we all wanna watch
and my wife up to it
we hosting a few families over the pad to cozy up and watch the pre-released film

FOR FREE

>If you actually want to see the film, you should pay for it.
>ESPECIALLY if we're talking about a group showing.
>
>The whole "vote with your dollars" routine.
12681436, if you say so.
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Dec-20-14 05:38 PM
I better not ever see you in particular complain about there not being enough Black anything in film or television then.
12681444, I don't need black "movies" but more black "roles" would be nice
Posted by deejboram, Sat Dec-20-14 05:49 PM
i actually don't even like "black" movies like Best Man

but i like Black people in prominent non-slave based (Django/Help) roles

I liked Inside Man with Danzale
More movies like that
I liked I Think I Love My Wife by Chris Rock too
He was just a regular ass dude with a regular job
and a regular wife
who wasn't fucking him on the regular like 80% of the wives out there
give me some regular Larry David / Jerry Seinfeld simple life shit but with Black families
like something between Rock and Cosby Show

like, can the black male character go through the entire movie without saying "jive turkey" or giving somebody "dap"?
no soul train line or electric slide in the movie?
can someone NOT be getting married or drive-by shot?

American Blacks need to go the route of Nollywood and just do a buncha straight-to-dvd releaseses but have them with the quality of MGM/Sony/Paramount

>I better not ever see you in particular complain about there
>not being enough Black anything in film or television then.
12681448, RE: I don't need black "movies" but more black "roles" would be nice
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Dec-20-14 05:52 PM
>American Blacks need to go the route of Nollywood and just do
>a buncha straight-to-dvd releaseses but have them with the
>quality of MGM/Sony/Paramount
>

You can make a really good indie film that goes straight to digital DVD, but a good part of the reason major studio films look like major studio films is because they have the money to spend to get them to look that way.
12681976, i wrote a long ass response but my daughter unplugged the router
Posted by deejboram, Sun Dec-21-14 07:45 PM
and it killed my response
but it had something to do with no special effects and HABLA CON ELLA
and Almodovar directinghis ass off

oh it had a whole monologue about BROKEN FLOWERS
and how geniusly great that movie was and why can't we get a Black Roses the jamaican based prequel to broken flowers
but with an all black cast starring Hannibel Burress in place of Bill Murray
im joking about the cast
but yeah why can't we have "art piece" black movies?
the two movies i listed above i dont think ever got into theaters

our movies that dont see theaters be on the level of acting in I'm Bout It
or one of them horrible movies I seen Taraji P Henson in
she was naked a lot in that movie
remember the name?
i believe she was also bisexual or at least had a sex scene with another woman
12679301, white ppl are really really angry that annie is colored
Posted by mikediggz, Thu Dec-18-14 09:57 AM
12679355, are they really?
Posted by ternary_star, Thu Dec-18-14 10:32 AM
i haven't heard anybody say anything about this thing, let alone work up anger over it.
12679362, there were a couple of stories on shows like extra etc... when the
Posted by mikediggz, Thu Dec-18-14 10:38 AM
story about the black stormtrooper came out
12679363, They _were_ when it was first announced.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 10:40 AM
Even I was a little bit like "really?" Obviously I'd love to see more musicals with black stars, but the idea of recycling Annie and Daddy Warbucks - characters with absolutely no appeal or recognition to anyone under 35, maybe even 45 - and making them Black seemed...I dunno, a little disingenuous to me.

Once I saw the first trailers, I understood better the direction they were going in with the modernization and it seemed like a good direction to go in. The critics seem to feel differently after having seen the final film, however.
12679391, RE: They _were_ when it was first announced.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 11:00 AM
you a funny dude.
12679369, I'm still seeing many use it as a counterargument to the Exodus thing.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Thu Dec-18-14 10:44 AM
12679410, Moses, Rameses and Zipporah were real, living brown and black folks.
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:09 AM
Little Orphan Annie is a cartoon character who doesn't even have pupils in her eye-sockets.
12679371, have no interest in this or any musical really. but black ppl need to
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Dec-18-14 10:45 AM
ride out for this one
they hype it up every morning on GMA
so the white people are doing their part marketing wise
12679384, i have no interest in seeing it, but i have a 6 year old daughter
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Dec-18-14 10:55 AM
and I'm tired of these damn disney princesses and shit. I'll take my daughter to see if 5 times if she asks me, even if I think its terrible.
12679385, i don't care
Posted by latenitemix, Thu Dec-18-14 10:56 AM
my cousin and i enjoyed the '82 annie so much as children and now our little cousins are SO excited to see the new annie. i'm talking about drop everything fascinated when the commercials come on and pulling up the '82 version of it's a hard knock life on youtube. we are taking them to see it on sunday and i can't wait to share this experience with them :D

12679393, if they budgeted it for US to see it then cool...
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 11:01 AM
but if they put big money into this they prolly won't make much.
12679405, 1. shouldn't our whole goal as fas as cinema is concerned
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:08 AM
to be to get ot a point where black stars _can_ actually star in films that aren't necessarily _only_ intended for black audiences? Especially given Hollywood's current taste for a few big tentpoles over a bunch of what they call "doubles" (as opposed to "home runs")?

2. They're not telling what the budget is on this picture, but I imagine it's a bit far out of the Tyler Perry range. It looks expensive, and it's a musical to boot.
12679428, not with a Black Annie, Puffy the Magic Dragon and Snow Brown
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 11:15 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to REMAKE white movies like Annie, Snow White to get more white people in the seats.

12679444, I don't necessarily disagree, but at the same time I don't want
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:24 AM
to have to live by this idea that family films with black leads have to be expected to only play to about 8% of the population, if that much, versus maybe 25% or so.

Maybe this would have been a good time for the "similar but distinct" original idea "inspired by" Little Orphan Annie?
12679451, I guess they think they can peel off enough white people
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-18-14 11:29 AM
due to nostalgia but ionno...

I can't see them remaking a black classic using white people and expecting us to run out and see it.

I know they don't need to do that but I'm just talking hypothetically.

maybe the public will defy the critics but I seriously doubt it.
12679471, RE: I guess they think they can peel off enough white people
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 11:44 AM
>due to nostalgia but ionno...
>
>I can't see them remaking a black classic using white people
>and expecting us to run out and see it.

I'm thinking they're going after kids and parents. The "ooh, Mommy, I wanna see it!" factor. The parents were children when the 1982 movie came out, so that's a targetable audience too. The people old enough to actually remember Annie when she was a thing...nah, most of them ain't going like you said.

But what black classic could you even remake with white folks? That's the issue. Most American films with predominately Black casts are so specific to the Black experience that they don't work with white actors in the parts. I mean, "Carmen Jones" is already "Carmen". They did try inverting "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" as "Guess Who", which didn't work so well.

White "Shaft"? There's hundreds of cop dramas in that vein. Robert Blake had a whole TV show.

White "Coming to America"? "Borat", I guess...?

White "Life"? Laurel & Hardy made it in 1931, it's called "Pardon Us". I'm sure there's others.

The musical version of "Annie", on the other hand, is so culture-nonspecific that you could cast practically any little girl and grown man of any race or ethnicity as the two leads and the story still makes sense.

>
>I know they don't need to do that but I'm just talking
>hypothetically.
>
>maybe the public will defy the critics but I seriously doubt
>it.

That was what I was typing in the OP but forgot to finish - just because it's getting bad reviews (_very_ bad reviews) doesn't mean the public may not like it. After all, these folks flocked to go see four awful films in a row about robotic toys from the 1980s. Anything is possible.
12681978, This is what I'm saying about BROKEN FLOWERS et al
Posted by deejboram, Sun Dec-21-14 07:53 PM
>>due to nostalgia but ionno...
>>
>>I can't see them remaking a black classic using white people
>>and expecting us to run out and see it.
>
>I'm thinking they're going after kids and parents. The "ooh,
>Mommy, I wanna see it!" factor. The parents were children when
>the 1982 movie came out, so that's a targetable audience too.
>The people old enough to actually remember Annie when she was
>a thing...nah, most of them ain't going like you said.
>
>But what black classic could you even remake with white folks?
>That's the issue. Most American films with predominately Black
>casts are so specific to the Black experience that they don't
>work with white actors in the parts. I mean, "Carmen Jones" is
>already "Carmen". They did try inverting "Guess Who's Coming
>to Dinner" as "Guess Who", which didn't work so well.
>
>White "Shaft"? There's hundreds of cop dramas in that vein.
>Robert Blake had a whole TV show.
>
>White "Coming to America"? "Borat", I guess...?
>
>White "Life"? Laurel & Hardy made it in 1931, it's called
>"Pardon Us". I'm sure there's others.
>
>The musical version of "Annie", on the other hand, is so
>culture-nonspecific that you could cast practically any little
>girl and grown man of any race or ethnicity as the two leads
>and the story still makes sense.
>
>>
>>I know they don't need to do that but I'm just talking
>>hypothetically.
>>
>>maybe the public will defy the critics but I seriously doubt
>>it.
>
>That was what I was typing in the OP but forgot to finish -
>just because it's getting bad reviews (_very_ bad reviews)
>doesn't mean the public may not like it. After all, these
>folks flocked to go see four awful films in a row about
>robotic toys from the 1980s. Anything is possible.
12679583, Its the hard-knock life... for us!
Posted by ThaAnthology, Thu Dec-18-14 12:52 PM
they do that number and eff the critics...
12679717, Here you go:
Posted by b.Touch, Thu Dec-18-14 02:20 PM
(did they mix the vox so low to disguise the fact that these kids can't sing that well?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr1BybpMKzU
12679422, I hate musicals and don't have kids so...
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Dec-18-14 11:14 AM
12681405, Annie is performing pretty well......(SWIPE)
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-20-14 04:51 PM

When will people understand that you can't judge every movie by its Rotten Tomato rating in terms of a film's success?

Most of the time kiddie movies are immune to such critical dissection...I'm pulling for Annie even with all of the racist bullshit the Sony suits were dropping in those Emails...Black kids need to see themselves on screen...It looks like it's headed for nearly $20 mill this weekend and folks are saying it's going to do more than that when Christmas hits....Not bad for a "black" family movie that people were ready to tear down...

----

‘Hobbit’ Hot No. 1; ‘Museum’ Bows Second, ‘Annie’ Sings Third – Friday UPDATE
by Anthony D'Alessandro
December 20, 2014 2:46am

Saturday: 7:30AM: Warner Bros. is reporting this morning that The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies made $16.575M Friday for a cume of $51M with $2.18M coming from IMAX alone (13% of Friday). IMAX looks to have a 16% of FSS and 3D shows are pulling in about 50% of the gross, which is higher than Smaug,but about the same as An Unexpected Journey. Per some early morning estimates, the weekend showdown for No. 2 between Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb and Annie looks like it’s wider. Fox is reporting Museum in second with $5.625M yesterday, a position the Ben Stiller comedy plans to hold throughout the weekend with $18.3M. Sony’s Annie posted $5.3M and is now eyeing a $16-$17M weekend.

The Annie reboot, which cost a reported $65M, was further bolstered by two Golden Globe noms for actress Quvenzhane Wallis (actress, musical or comedy) and for Sia’s song “Ordinary” in the film. Also moving the marketing meter for Annie is its soundtrack which features singer/songwriter Sia and producer Greg Kurstin who gave the musical’s classic songs “Tomorrow” and “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile” a modern makeover. Annie boasts 18M YouTube views, on par with Les Miserables two years ago. The film’s social media universe per RelishMIX is 60.5M across YouTube, Facebook and Twitter vs. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb‘s 52.2M. RelishMIX shows that Annie videos are reposting strongly.

After all The Interview hacking headaches this week, Sony is over the moon with its A- Cinemascore for Annie, which bodes well for the pic’s life. Critics have been throwing gum at the warbling orphan’s hair with a 28% Rotten Tomatoes score, but that’s just further proof that blockbuster Broadway musical adaptations don’t need the tweed set to sing high notes at the B.O. (2008’s Mamma Mia! was slammed by critics with 54% rotten, but got an A- Cinemascore and posted a domestic B.O. of $144.1M). The estimated Friday for Museum: Secret of the Tomb ranks below the $12.1M first Friday of its opening chapter, which bowed during the same December frame in 2006, but look at what Fox did with December 2011 kiddie threequel Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. Both Museum: Secret of the Tomb and Chipwrecked earned B+ Cinemascores, and posted similar Fridays (Chipwrecked earned a bit more with $6.7M), however the latter legged out at $133.1M stateside.

Below is the top 10 for the weekend of Dec. 19-21 per Friday night industry estimates:

1). The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (WB), 3,875 theaters /$16.1M Fri./ 3-day cume: $52M / Total cume: $86.4M/Wk 1 (Bowed Wednesday)

2). Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (FOX), 3,785 theaters /$5.9M Fri./ 3-day cume: $19.6M /Wk 1

3). Annie (Sony), 3,116 theaters /$6M Fri./ 3-day cume: $19.1M /Wk 1

4). Exodus: Gods and Kings (FOX), 3,053 theaters (0)/$2.3M Fri. (-74%)/ 3-day cume: $8M(-67%) / Total cume: $38.6M/Wk 2

5). The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (LGF), 3,174 theaters (-557) /$2.2M Fri. (-41%)/ 3-day cume: $7.9M (-38%) / Total cume: $289.4M/Wk 5

6). Wild (FSL), 1061 theaters (+945) / $1.15M Fri. (+141%) / 3-day cume: $4M (+167%) / Total cume: $7M /Wk 3

7). The Penguins Of Madagascar (FOX), 2,717 theaters (-595)/ $944K Fri. (-37%)/ 3-day cume: $3.8M (-47%) / Total cume: $M / Wk 4

8). Big Hero 6 (DIS), 2,407 theaters (-369) / $929K Fri. (-29%) / 3-day cume: $3.5M (-41%)/ Total cume: $190.5M /Wk 7

9). Top Five (PAR), 1,307 theaters (+328) /$931K Fri. (-63%)/ 3-day cume: $2.9M (-57%)/ Total cume: $11.9M /Wk 2

10). Interstellar (PAR), 1,550 theaters (-701) / $720K Fri. (-52%) / 3-day cume: $2.7M (-51%) / Total cume: $171.6M / Wk 7

11) P.K (UTV), 272 theaters/ $800K Fri./ 3-day cume: $2.3M /Wk 1
12681425, I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Dec-20-14 05:24 PM
terrible reviews doesn't necessarily mean people won't go see it.

That being said, however, a $17 mil opening weekend for a film that cost $65 mil to make (+ God only knows how much in marketing since they've been running ads since March) is not good. That's not even "black movie" good (which is $20 mil opening weekend and a sharp drop off afterwards).

Also, I would strongly argue that Black kids ought to be able to see themselves in quality pictures, and we as a "people" need not be so desperate to blindly support a studio picture I haven't heard a single good thing about (not even from Black people) when there are far more effective things we can do to help Black kids and their self-esteem.
12681432, RE: I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-20-14 05:36 PM
>terrible reviews doesn't necessarily mean people won't go see
>it.
>
>That being said, however, a $17 mil opening weekend for a film
>that cost $65 mil to make (+ God only knows how much in
>marketing since they've been running ads since March) is not
>good. That's not even "black movie" good (which is $20 mil
>opening weekend and a sharp drop off afterwards).

Actually, the film is now on pace to do $19 plus mill...(i.e. $20 mil) the first weekend....

It's a good number considering that other musicals that have cracked over $100 mill have tracked much in the same way...And the fact that Annie has been leaked in a huge way matters...But in spite of that it's doing better than expected...

If this was an October release u would have a point...But what u fail to understand is Annie is the only kid's movie out this holiday season....Also, this is not the time where movies look to clean up box office wise...It's during the days gearing up to Christmas and the weekend after....Those "drop offs" during the holiday are very small compared to normal seasons....

Annie will end up clearing around $40 to $50 mil by the end of next week...And will get even more during the weekend after Christmas...

And yeah...Black self esteem means little when it comes to adults...When it comes to kids though? Any positive image of a black child helps....
12681445, RE: I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Dec-20-14 05:49 PM
>>terrible reviews doesn't necessarily mean people won't go
>see
>>it.
>>
>>That being said, however, a $17 mil opening weekend for a
>film
>>that cost $65 mil to make (+ God only knows how much in
>>marketing since they've been running ads since March) is not
>>good. That's not even "black movie" good (which is $20 mil
>>opening weekend and a sharp drop off afterwards).
>
>Actually, the film is now on pace to do $19 plus mill...(i.e.
>$20 mil) the first weekend....

$19 million does not round up to $20 mil in Hollywood bean-counter numbers...trust me, it does not.

>
>It's a good number considering that other musicals that have
>cracked over $100 mill have tracked much in the same way...

Where did you get this from? Of the five musicals that have made more than $100 mil in the last 15 years - Chicago, Dreamgirls, Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, and Les Mis - the ones that had standard openings posted $27 mil the first weekend. Chicago and Dreamgirls both opened limited and then opened wider, never having big weekends but trying to ride the wave of Oscar nods (which Annie is not likely to get, save for maybe technicals).

The outlier is "Enchanted", a summer Disney film that opened to $34 million and made good money.

And
>the fact that Annie has been leaked in a huge way
>matters...But in spite of that it's doing better than
>expected...

It's doing better than expected considering the hack and the bad reviews, but it's still not doing _well_.

>
>If this was an October release u would have a point...But what
>u fail to understand is Annie is the only kid's movie out this
>holiday season....

-Night at the Museum 3 (also opened this weekend)
-Penguins of Madagascar (still in wide release)
-Big Hero 6 (still in wide release)

Also, this is not the time where movies look
>to clean up box office wise...It's during the weekend gearing
>up to Christmas and the weekend after....

This IS the weekend gearing up to Christmas. Christmas is on Thursday. Did you mean the week _of_ Christmas or Christmas Day in particular?
>
>Annie will end up clearing around $40 to $50 mil by the end of
>next week...And will get even more during the Christmas
>weekend...

That's an extremely generous estimate. It may hit $40 mil if it's lucky. It'll need one fucking hell of a word of mouth boost to fight the bad reviews tho.
>
>And yeah...Black self esteem means little when it comes to
>adults...When it comes to kids though? Any positive image of a
>black child helps....

Black self esteem means little when it comes to adults? Are you trolling me?
12681455, RE: I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-20-14 06:03 PM
>>>terrible reviews doesn't necessarily mean people won't go
>>see
>>>it.
>>>
>>>That being said, however, a $17 mil opening weekend for a
>>film
>>>that cost $65 mil to make (+ God only knows how much in
>>>marketing since they've been running ads since March) is
>not
>>>good. That's not even "black movie" good (which is $20 mil
>>>opening weekend and a sharp drop off afterwards).
>>
>>Actually, the film is now on pace to do $19 plus
>mill...(i.e.
>>$20 mil) the first weekend....
>
>$19 million does not round up to $20 mil in Hollywood
>bean-counter numbers...trust me, it does not.

That number is viewed as a success given that people were ready to bury Annie because of the low ratings it received on RT (as if that mattered) and that massive leak...If you read most of the stories about Annie this weekend people are saying that it is on pace to do much better than early expectations...

>>It's a good number considering that other musicals that have
>>cracked over $100 mill have tracked much in the same way...
>
>Where did you get this from? Of the five musicals that have
>made more than $100 mil in the last 15 years - Chicago,
>Dreamgirls, Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, and Les Mis - the ones that
>had standard openings posted $27 mil the first weekend.
>Chicago and Dreamgirls both opened limited and then opened
>wider, never having big weekends but trying to ride the wave
>of Oscar nods (which Annie is not likely to get, save for
>maybe technicals).

The tracking I was speaking of was critical tracking....And as far as the actual numbers it was being reported that Annie was going to do between $12 to $15 mil this weekend....

Now it looks like it's going to do more...And the actual word of mouth for the film has been very positive beyond reviews...

>The outlier is "Enchanted", a summer Disney film that opened
>to $34 million and made good money.

>None of these opened in the teens.

>And
>>the fact that Annie has been leaked in a huge way
>>matters...But in spite of that it's doing better than
>>expected...
>
>It's doing better than expected considering the hack and the
>bad reviews, but it's still not doing _well_.

That's not what the trade magazines are saying...And they make it their business to point out a flop...

>>If this was an October release u would have a point...But
>what
>>u fail to understand is Annie is the only kid's movie out
>this
>>holiday season....
>
>-Night at the Museum 3 (also opened this weekend)
>-Penguins of Madagascar (still in wide release)
>-Big Hero 6 (still in wide release)

Night of the Museum 3 is the only movie battling with Annie as noted in the piece I posted (they are neck and neck in terms of box office returns...)...Those other films are still in the top 10 but are not being viewed as new releases....They have already done their numbers...This holiday run is icing on the cake for them....

I think the following point made in Variety capture my point...word of mouth will help Annie:

"Meanwhile, Sony’s “Annie” debuted to $5.3 million on Friday at the U.S. box office. The musical is en route to an opening just between $18 million and $19 million, although the studio estimates a more modest $16 million to $17 million.This is a welcomed victory for Sony, which is still reeling from the fallout following its decision to pull “The Interview” from theaters. The film’s A- CinemaScore may also be a good sign of things to come."

>Also, this is not the time where movies look
>>to clean up box office wise...It's during the weekend
>gearing
>>up to Christmas and the weekend after....
>
>This IS the weekend gearing up to Christmas. Christmas is on
>Thursday. Did you mean the week _of_ Christmas or Christmas
>Day in particular?
>>
>>Annie will end up clearing around $40 to $50 mil by the end
>of
>>next week...And will get even more during the Christmas
>>weekend...
>
>That's an extremely generous estimate. It may hit $40 mil if
>it's lucky. It'll need one fucking hell of a word of mouth
>boost to fight the bad reviews tho.
>>
>>And yeah...Black self esteem means little when it comes to
>>adults...When it comes to kids though? Any positive image of
>a
>>black child helps....
>
>Black self esteem means little when it comes to adults? Are
>you trolling me?

Let me explain...

Black adults getting self esteem from movies...That's what I'm talking about...Seeing positive images on a movie screen doesn't really mean as much for adults than it does for kids...For kids it means the world...

12681467, RE: I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Dec-20-14 06:30 PM
>>>>terrible reviews doesn't necessarily mean people won't go
>>>see
>>>>it.
>>>>
>>>>That being said, however, a $17 mil opening weekend for a
>>>film
>>>>that cost $65 mil to make (+ God only knows how much in
>>>>marketing since they've been running ads since March) is
>>not
>>>>good. That's not even "black movie" good (which is $20 mil
>>>>opening weekend and a sharp drop off afterwards).
>>>
>>>Actually, the film is now on pace to do $19 plus
>>mill...(i.e.
>>>$20 mil) the first weekend....
>>
>>$19 million does not round up to $20 mil in Hollywood
>>bean-counter numbers...trust me, it does not.
>
>
>
>That number is viewed as a success given that people were
>ready to bury Annie because of the low ratings it received on
>RT (as if that mattered) and that massive leak...If you read
>most of the stories about Annie this weekend people are saying
>that it is on pace to do much better than early
>expectations...

I suppose. Box Office Mojo certainly predicted it low, but BoxOffice.com predicted an $18 mil opening.

>
>
>>>It's a good number considering that other musicals that
>have
>>>cracked over $100 mill have tracked much in the same way...
>>
>>Where did you get this from? Of the five musicals that have
>>made more than $100 mil in the last 15 years - Chicago,
>>Dreamgirls, Hairspray, Mamma Mia!, and Les Mis - the ones
>that
>>had standard openings posted $27 mil the first weekend.
>>Chicago and Dreamgirls both opened limited and then opened
>>wider, never having big weekends but trying to ride the wave
>>of Oscar nods (which Annie is not likely to get, save for
>>maybe technicals).
>
>
>The tracking I was speaking of was critical tracking....And as
>far as the actual numbers it was being reported that Annie was
>going to do between $12 to $15 mil this weekend....
>
>Now it looks like it's going to do more...And the actual word
>of mouth for the film has been very positive beyond
>reviews...

This we can be in agreeance on - "Annie" apparently has an A- CinemaScore.
>
>
>>The outlier is "Enchanted", a summer Disney film that opened
>>to $34 million and made good money.
>
>>None of these opened in the teens.
>
>
>>And
>>>the fact that Annie has been leaked in a huge way
>>>matters...But in spite of that it's doing better than
>>>expected...
>>
>>It's doing better than expected considering the hack and the
>>bad reviews, but it's still not doing _well_.
>
>That's not what the trade magazines are saying...And they make
>it their business to point out a flop...
>
>
>>>If this was an October release u would have a point...But
>>what
>>>u fail to understand is Annie is the only kid's movie out
>>this
>>>holiday season....
>>
>>-Night at the Museum 3 (also opened this weekend)
>>-Penguins of Madagascar (still in wide release)
>>-Big Hero 6 (still in wide release)
>
>
>Night of the Museum 3 is the only movie battling with Annie as
>noted in the piece I posted (they are neck and neck in terms
>of box office returns...)...Those other films are still in the
>top 10 but are not being viewed as new releases....They have
>already done their numbers...This holiday run is icing on the
>cake for them....

They're still in theaters, however, still in the top ten, and neither film has really made all the money it could or should have (compared to previous Disney or DreamWorks holiday animated releases), so they should still be considered competition when families look at what to see at the movies on Christmas.
>
>I think the following point made in Variety capture my
>point...word of mouth will help Annie:
>
>"Meanwhile, Sony’s “Annie” debuted to $5.3 million on
>Friday at the U.S. box office. The musical is en route to an
>opening just between $18 million and $19 million, although the
>studio estimates a more modest $16 million to $17 million.This
>is a welcomed victory for Sony, which is still reeling from
>the fallout following its decision to pull “The Interview”
>from theaters. The film’s A- CinemaScore may also be a good
>sign of things to come."

Studios _always_ try to underestimate their opening weekends, so that they can go "OMG! We did so well!" on Sunday evening/Monday morning. This is a thing.
>
>>Also, this is not the time where movies look
>>>to clean up box office wise...It's during the weekend
>>gearing
>>>up to Christmas and the weekend after....
>>
>>This IS the weekend gearing up to Christmas. Christmas is on
>>Thursday. Did you mean the week _of_ Christmas or Christmas
>>Day in particular?
>>>
>>>Annie will end up clearing around $40 to $50 mil by the end
>>of
>>>next week...And will get even more during the Christmas
>>>weekend...
>>
>>That's an extremely generous estimate. It may hit $40 mil if
>>it's lucky. It'll need one fucking hell of a word of mouth
>>boost to fight the bad reviews tho.
>>>
>>>And yeah...Black self esteem means little when it comes to
>>>adults...When it comes to kids though? Any positive image
>of
>>a
>>>black child helps....
>>
>>Black self esteem means little when it comes to adults? Are
>>you trolling me?
>
>Let me explain...
>
>Black adults getting self esteem from movies...That's what I'm
>talking about...Seeing positive images on a movie screen
>doesn't really mean as much for adults than it does for
>kids...For kids it means the world...
>

But in 2014, with multimedia practically everywhere, couldn't parents and/or kids find as many positive images of black people as they want anyplace besides in one new movie?
12681481, RE: I'd said in reply #45 that the film being terrible and/or getting
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-20-14 06:44 PM

>But in 2014, with multimedia practically everywhere, couldn't
>parents and/or kids find as many positive images of black
>people as they want anyplace besides in one new movie?

Come on...don't act brand new...lol...Alongside the summer, the Christmas season is huge for family outings...Of course we can pop in a video or a child can get positive images from their parents and loved ones...

But I'm thinking in terms of reality...The media is still the most powerful platform when it comes to exhibiting stereotypes or negative imagery whether it's blacks, gays, Latinos, Asians, women, ect...

It would be nice to go to the movies and be able to take your kid to a film that actually shows themselves on screen in a positive manner...
12681644, would be nice != reality
Posted by b.Touch, Sun Dec-21-14 01:21 AM
The media shouldn't be relied upon to raise children. Their primary concern is making money.

And though a lot of parents don't do it and some don't do it enough, it is entirely possible to keep the media from negatively influencing a child or to properly reinforce negative images as negative. My parents, bless them, were able to do it.
12681461, Hollywood Reporter::'Hobbit' Riding High; 'Annie,' 'Night at the Museum' in Close Race
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-20-14 06:17 PM

(SWIPE)

Box Office: 'Hobbit' Riding High; 'Annie,' 'Night at the Museum' in Close Race

by Rebecca Ford
12/20/2014 8:25am PDT

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is giving the holiday box office a much-needed boost this weekend, adding a stellar $16.5 million Friday on its way to the No. 1 spot for the weekend.

Peter Jackson's film, based on the work of J. R. R. Tolkien, should earn north of $86 million after opening Wednesday (about $54 million for the traditional three-day window), far above the original estimates of $75 million to $80 million. The New Line and MGM film will likely continue to do strong business in the coming holidays weeks as families have free time to head to the theaters. It earned an A- CinemaScore

Box-office comparisons to the previous Hobbit films won't be exactly parallel as the first two came out on Fridays. But the previous film, The Desolation of Smaug, earned $73.6 million in its debut weekend, and hit a final tally of $958.4 million worldwide. The first installment, An Unexpected Journey, opened in December 2012 to $84.6 million on its way to a grand total of $1 billion.

Read more 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies': Film Review

There's a heated race building for the No. 2 spot this weekend between the other two newcomers: Fox's Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb and Sony's musical Annie.

Fox's Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, directed by Shawn Levy, added $5.6 million Friday on its way to about $18 million for the weekend. The film, which garnered a B+ CinemaScore, is facing heavy competition in a crowded holiday box office, with so many films vying for families' attention, and so it won't reach the numbers earned by the previous two films. But December openings often have stronger multiples, so Night at the Museum could continue to see growth in the holiday weeks to come.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian opened in May 2009 to a four-day debut of $70 million over Memorial Day weekend. (It earned $54.2 million in the traditional three-day window.) It went on to earn $413.1 million worldwide. The first Night at the Museum film debuted to $30.4 million when it opened in December 2006 on its way to a worldwide tally of $574.8 million.

In a rare bit of good news for the hack-embattled Sony, the remake Annie, starring Quvenzhane Wallis, earned a solid $5.3 million Friday and got a favorable A- CinemaScore. The film got a nice boost Friday from school outings to theaters, and if it can bring in family audiences over the weekend, it's looking at an estimated $17 million debut. (This is before the revised estimates...)

12681549, good
Posted by lfresh, Sat Dec-20-14 08:56 PM
I wasn't interested
But didn't mean I didn't want the target audience to get their jollies

~~~~
~~~~
12681960, $16.3 mil opening weekend
Posted by b.Touch, Sun Dec-21-14 07:03 PM
A little better than the industry estimate of $15.9
12682024, this subject title makes me lol again and again
Posted by initiationofplato, Sun Dec-21-14 10:17 PM
12682045, I'm not seeing it...
Posted by handle, Sun Dec-21-14 11:08 PM
1)The original movie was not good. (Saw it when I was 12?)
2)Jamie Foxx (and the scene's I've seen played) does not have the right disposition for Daddy Warlbucks. (Will Stacks???)
3)Cameron Diaz's face is looking more and more like a ventriloquist's dummy's face.
4)Auto-tune
5)Bad reviews.
12682059, 4) guarantees I won't see it for full-price
Posted by b.Touch, Sun Dec-21-14 11:59 PM
Why is there less shame in using obvious Auto-Tune than there is in hiring singing ghosts??
12682114, b. Touch, can we get a Black version of Bridges of Madison County?
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 06:46 AM
or
The Notebook
Juno
Silver Linings
The Vow
this is 40
The Ugly Truth

Basically, can we have non-Madea based movies made with 80% of the cast being black?

I know this all comes down to boxofficemojo numbers so the studios won't really invest in them but why can't Overbrook Ent and 40 Acres & A Mule come together to put something out straight to DVD or at least do small indie theaters around the country?

12682125, 1. I have to assume you mean "straight to VOD".
Posted by b.Touch, Mon Dec-22-14 07:32 AM
as DVD sales make it no longer worthwhile to make things "straight to DVD'

1a. Straight to anything but a movie theater is not an effective way to make a quality feature film. Because, money.

2. It is entirely possible that Will Smith & Spike Lee do not want to work together.

2a. Overbrook has a long-term deal with Sony Pictures.

3. I don't want "black" versions of recent white movies. There's plenty of original screenplays and adaptable material to where people shouldn't be chasing remakes of "Steel Magnolias" and "magic Mike" with brown faces.
12682127, Yeah, i guess straight to OnDemand movies then...
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 07:58 AM
>2. It is entirely possible that Will Smith & Spike Lee do not
>want to work together.

I just gave them two names as those were the first two that came to mind that had big money to do something like this. I dont even know if Will and Spike are on speaking terms.

>3. I don't want "black" versions of recent white movies.
>There's plenty of original screenplays and adaptable material
>to where people shouldn't be chasing remakes of "Steel
>Magnolias" and "magic Mike" with brown faces.

They don't have to be "remakes" of those exact movies
I'm just saying can we get those "type" of movies to be made.
Those "types" being with no serious plot.
You know what
As I'm typing this out it seems we already have a few of them but the actors or directors just be corny
Remember, "lottery ticket" with bow wow? Or that new movie with Robin Thick's wife who is a flight attendant that is looking for the perfect man. It had a loud fat Black woman in it too. thats all i remember from the lil bit I watched.

Those two movies had simplistic plots but weren't put together very well and the acting sucked.
I swear most Black movies are on that "I'm Bout It" level of acting
niggas staring directly into the camera and shit

But yeah, ooohhhhhhh
this is hitting me now
only way the big studios will greenlight a movie with Black faces is if we are cooning (Madea, Kevin Hart, Katt Williams, etc) or ...
nah that's it
Colors and Menace II Society type flicks aint being made no more
Friday had limited box office success
But Ice Cube and Cuba Gooding's Disney movies do pretty well

I guess I want to see more black dramas
Or that one movie Tyler Perry made and he was the lead in had potential but his acting SUCKS
I didn't watch the other film he did where I think Brandy had a lead role but I heard that movie was more AWFUL than the one tyler starred in
12682133, RE: Yeah, i guess straight to OnDemand movies then...
Posted by b.Touch, Mon Dec-22-14 08:33 AM
>>2. It is entirely possible that Will Smith & Spike Lee do
>not
>>want to work together.
>
>
>I just gave them two names as those were the first two that
>came to mind that had big money to do something like this. I
>dont even know if Will and Spike are on speaking terms.

Spike was on the internet running a Kickstarter last year. Big money (or at least money to fund a film sufficiently on his own or even at 50%) I don't think he has.
>
>
>
>>3. I don't want "black" versions of recent white movies.
>>There's plenty of original screenplays and adaptable
>material
>>to where people shouldn't be chasing remakes of "Steel
>>Magnolias" and "magic Mike" with brown faces.
>
>
>They don't have to be "remakes" of those exact movies
>I'm just saying can we get those "type" of movies to be made.
>Those "types" being with no serious plot.
>You know what
>As I'm typing this out it seems we already have a few of them
>but the actors or directors just be corny
>Remember, "lottery ticket" with bow wow? Or that new movie
>with Robin Thick's wife who is a flight attendant that is
>looking for the perfect man. It had a loud fat Black woman in
>it too. thats all i remember from the lil bit I watched.

The second film is "Baggage Claim", by Tyler Perry's nemesis David E. Talbert

>
>Those two movies had simplistic plots but weren't put together
>very well and the acting sucked.
>I swear most Black movies are on that "I'm Bout It" level of
>acting
>niggas staring directly into the camera and shit

LOL

>
>But yeah, ooohhhhhhh
>this is hitting me now
>only way the big studios will greenlight a movie with Black
>faces is if we are cooning (Madea, Kevin Hart, Katt Williams,
>etc) or ...
>nah that's it

Let's make sure we're using the right words. "Cooning" refers to black people degrading themselves acting a fool for the presumed enjoyment of white people. White people generally do not attend films featuring Katt Williams - who appears in very VERY few films as it is anyway. Even though Tyler Perry's tried to cross Madea over, the films are still based very much in a tone and format that expects they will be primarily viewed by middle aged black women.

That leaves Kevin Hart, who doesn't do anything in films you wouldn't expect a comedian to do, whether he's good or bad at it depending on the film. Should he be taking on military drama parts instead?

>Colors and Menace II Society type flicks aint being made no
>more
because those films are 20 to 25 years old. They're not making Rambo movies either.

Truth be told, I'm thankful there's less "gangsta" films out

>Friday had limited box office success
One what planet? It was a cheap film that became a cult classic and made enough money )especially on video_ to garner two sequels.

>But Ice Cube and Cuba Gooding's Disney movies do pretty well

Ice Cube's made two films for Disney, "I Got the Hook Up" and "The Glass Shield" (both Miramax films made when Disney still owned them). I'm sure there aren't the ones you were thinking of. He's made his "family films" at literally every other studio _except_ Disney.

Cuba Gooding Jr. hasn't starred as the lead in a film in almost a decade.

>
>
>I guess I want to see more black dramas
>Or that one movie Tyler Perry made and he was the lead in had
>potential but his acting SUCKS

"Good Deeds". Flawed from the ground up, that was.

>I didn't watch the other film he did where I think Brandy had
>a lead role but I heard that movie was more AWFUL than the one
>tyler starred in
>
"Temptation". Brandy had a supporting part. And the film is reprehensible.
12682138, I didn't really go to movies in theaters until I got married
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 08:53 AM
>Let's make sure we're using the right words. "Cooning" refers
>to black people degrading themselves acting a fool for the
>presumed enjoyment of white people. White people generally do
>not attend films featuring Katt Williams - who appears in very
>VERY few films as it is anyway. Even though Tyler Perry's
>tried to cross Madea over, the films are still based very much
>in a tone and format that expects they will be primarily
>viewed by middle aged black women.

My problem with Madea's cooning is the why she always haas to talk so "Black"
and carrying a 45 revolver in her purse at all times
only other movie i can think that comes to that level of buffoonery is the movie with the fat white lady that is being persued for credit identity fraud
never seen it
just saw the commercials and the backlash because fat ppl was saying she makes them look bad

>
>That leaves Kevin Hart, who doesn't do anything in films you
>wouldn't expect a comedian to do, whether he's good or bad at
>it depending on the film. Should he be taking on military
>drama parts instead?

no. i want more boirng plot movies with more black faces
you know what movie that was kind of decent
the movie with forrest whitaker when he played the radio DJ and his son married the mexican girl
it was a bit racial at times but overall the movie was a good "dumb out" movie

>>Friday had limited box office success
>One what planet? It was a cheap film that became a cult
>classic and made enough money )especially on video_ to garner
>two sequels.

it was only in theaters for like 2-3 weeks
but the DVD game is what got it poppin
budget was $7M nad it grossed $20M in those few weeks it ran
but i'm sure DVD sales were astronomical

>Ice Cube's made two films for Disney, "I Got the Hook Up" and
>"The Glass Shield" (both Miramax films made when Disney still
>owned them). I'm sure there aren't the ones you were thinking
>of. He's made his "family films" at literally every other
>studio _except_ Disney.

yeah you know what i meant
them "the johnsons go on a summer vacation" style movies
i think beverly johnson was ice cube's wife
cuba gooding had them movies where he was a camp counselor
jerry maguire got great reviews but he was an athlete

thanks for your time in entertaining my entertainment questions and comments. i learned a lot.
i actually had a film studio client where i would predict DVD sales via box office sales
problem was studios were wasting a bunch of money printing up all these DVDs for films then they wouldn't sale then end up in the 99cent bin at walmart
in order to have less "lossage" they wanted to get a better handle on how many dvds they'd need to print up in the first 90day run
i never would have guessed it but justin beiber and them were KILLING the dvd game
lot of straight to dvd flicks
KILLING it
we guessed this was due to families buying their kids stuff for xmas
but yeah
it was costing the studios like $2 to press every DVD
so 400,000 units of G.I. Joe pt Trilogy left on the shelf is nothing to sneeze at
12682126, go see top Five n/m
Posted by Calico, Mon Dec-22-14 07:57 AM
12682129, my man told me to see it as well
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 08:02 AM
chris rock be having the right mix of Blackness in his movies

i liked that movie he did where he was in a inter-racial marriage and the inlaws came to visit
he was like an author or playwright or something in that film
just regular ass black guy

the inter-racial spin was whatever
but they could have easily used a black chick from "down south" and had her parents come up and do the same thing

his wife's sister had sex in the elevator an ....SPOILER ALERT
12682148, go see top five.
Posted by double negative, Mon Dec-22-14 09:08 AM
12682189, a real live personal review of Top 5 just came thru...
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 10:02 AM
her: we went to the movies to see Top 5. That shit was hilarious. I think I want to see it again.

me: yoooooo everybody been telling me that i need to see that movie

her: you have to see it!
her: it's on some real ninja shit. Like shit that really happens in life that people be talking about.

me: that's EXACTLY what i been looking for in a movie and everybody been telling me
12682573, I went to see on Saturday.. and I wasn't mad at all.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Dec-22-14 03:12 PM
12682823, was going to try the 6:30 showing today but forgot it was Rush Hour
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 09:50 PM
we live in the belly of the beast and ppl trying to get to/from the galleria to go shopping and then you have general/regular traffic of folks trying to leave work and it was bee naan nuhs!

we're shooting for the 3:30 showing tomorrow

we're taking the 9month old so hopefully after we give her the 3pm bottle she will sleep through the whole movie
12683697, yall was right. took my 9 month old to go see it just now.
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-23-14 08:20 PM
LOTS of funny parts
but then it was on some RNS too
12683959, glad you enjoyed it....
Posted by Calico, Wed Dec-24-14 11:35 AM
i only know two people who didn't like it at all, and i don't trust their movie opinions anyway...
12682225, I was hype to see it, but it looks like trash.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Dec-22-14 10:29 AM
It was one of my favorites as a kid. A "black version" seemed like a cool idea. The execution looks tacky though. Like they couldn't decide which aspects to modernize and which to keep dated.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12682256, It's doing well
Posted by ThaAnthology, Mon Dec-22-14 11:03 AM
and I am happy for it. I am not a fan, but it is still a good kids flick and other than our old asses, who really remembers Annie? It's cool for the kiddies so I'm cool with it.
12682579, it looks cheesy but it's for kids....
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Dec-22-14 03:14 PM
I'm happy to see it doing well...

I didn't think it would do that well but once people reminded me it's for the kids I changed my mind.

I think it will make it's money back and then some...

12682567, i enjoyed it
Posted by teeme, Mon Dec-22-14 03:07 PM
i thought it was going to be corny and i really don't like musicals, but i thought they updated it in a smart way.

they addressed the "red head white girl" thing, there was content for the nostalgic folk and enough action to keep children engaged.

cameron diaz was funny enough, as was jamie foxx.

happy to see the people who played annie's fake parents. i like/love them both as actors, dad/mom respectively.

plus watching my little cousins dance in their seats to the music didn't hurt either.
12682576, The Slap
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 03:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slap_%28TV_series%29

that's another show i like
even though it is a mini series
i like the general tone and everything of it
it's like some real life shit

basically this one man slaps another mans son at this bday party
cause the lil boy pushed his son down or something
or hit him with a baseball bat (could have been a cricket bat) as they were trying to break a pinata in the backyard

12682581, wtf does that have to do with Annie bruh?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Dec-22-14 03:15 PM
12682821, they are both movies.
Posted by deejboram, Mon Dec-22-14 09:47 PM
and up top we were discussing different types of movies we'd like to see more of.
i didn't want to start another post with this info for fear that it would get locked/deleted because we were already discussing that kind of stuff in this post.

kinda like how most of my other shit gets locked so i'm playing it safe.
12682636, happy that its doing well...and family holiday movies have a longer tail
Posted by kayru99, Mon Dec-22-14 03:56 PM
a lot of the time, so there's a good chance that there will be an longer drop-off over time.

I'mma buy a ticket and go see something else, but still...i'll buy a ticket
12682901, buy a ticket & not show up?
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 05:07 AM
>I'mma buy a ticket and go see something else, but still...i'll
>buy a ticket

Why? I mean, I think I know, but I don't want to be presumptuous.
12683906, support black films, man.
Posted by kayru99, Wed Dec-24-14 10:57 AM
12684065, Here's the thing, though:
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-24-14 01:55 PM
It seems like people only do this for heavily promoted films that, frankly, don't need the help.

"Annie" doesn't need unsolicited donations. In between sending bad racial jokes written in haiku form in emails, Amy Pascal an' 'nem have spent millions upon millions of dollars on promotion to all facets of the population: if they can't get asses in seats, it's their fault not ours.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of indie black films that could use the donations, and no one's buying 200 tickets to those films (Young Jeezy).

I had personal reasons for not really wanting to go see "Beyond the Lights" (I may still go instead; it's still playing near me), but people were so angry at its underperformance that they blamed black folks staying home to watch the "Aaliyah" movie on Lifetime instead. "Dear White People" could have used the donations. "Pariah".

Hell, there's a dude on this message board trying to make a film who could use the money before any of these films listed above. Why are we giving Amy Pascal money before him?
12684235, i've seen all those. It's not an either/or proposition in our city
Posted by kayru99, Wed Dec-24-14 06:18 PM
And beyond the lights is really damn good, you need to go peep it. It wasn't what I expected...definitely more of an indie film feel to it than i expected (thats a great thing in my book).

12682767, My 3 year old saw the commercial and is all in
Posted by rashad, Mon Dec-22-14 07:18 PM
and that's really all that matters. Bad, good or mediocre, I will be there
12682899, Can we stop with this?:
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 05:03 AM
>and that's really all that matters.

The "it's just a kids' movie; who cares if it's good or bad as long as kids like it" is tired. It was tired 10 years ago & it's tired now.

Pixar Animation Studios made billions of dollars by making family films where they actually gave a damn about the quality of their output. It is entirely possible to make something of quality that younger audiences will enjoy.
12683781, no ur missing what he said because of ur agenda
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Dec-24-14 07:47 AM
s/he said HIS/HER kid likes it and thats all that matters to HIM/HER

thats what its about for that poster and most parents worth a damn: making their kids happy

so dont go off on a tangent about something u dont like when thats not what that reply was about

his kid likes the preview and thus he will take his kid to see it

simple as that
12683870, the only agenda I have is not excusing away bad or mediocre movies
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-24-14 10:31 AM
but I understand everyone don'r feel the way I do. At least about movies.
12683884, there was a few BAD ACTING scenes in Top 5
Posted by deejboram, Wed Dec-24-14 10:41 AM
i wont give spoilers of the scenes
but i counted at least 2 scenes where i was like ok c'mon move along already
12684046, But that's not what his reply was about. It's not about excusing anything
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Dec-24-14 01:28 PM
It's about pleasing his child. U just replied to him as a way to make ur point and that's not helpful

Nothing wrong with ur point just don't miss the forest for the trees. Sometimes things are that simple as wanting to make ur loved ones happy
12682770, Meh it was fine. I'm sure kids will love it.
Posted by lightworks, Mon Dec-22-14 07:22 PM
As a adult without kids I thought it was fine.
12682776, I dont like black versions of things.
Posted by auset1, Mon Dec-22-14 07:42 PM
we are too creative to be copying some mediocre shit, and there are a trillion black stories that havent been told.

Mixes
http://www.mixcloud.com/rachel-stewart/
Jewelry
http://rachelstewartjewelry.com/
Photography
http://www.creativesilence.net/
12682900, "we" didn't write or direct this
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 05:04 AM
"we" did produce it and star in the two main roles, but this is a studio picture like any other studio picture.

12684185, but I do agree that I'm not a fan of "the black version of"
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-24-14 04:37 PM
because:
a) there's plenty of original ideas starring black folks similar or related to whatever it is we're being plopped into.

b) if it _is_ the "black version of", it generally has to come out stellar to balance out much of the criticism that will come its way. It can't be just okay, or in the case of this film, as mediocre as the 1982 one was received to be (there's a 1999 Disney TV version that's better than both of these, which is a shame).

TBH, after reviewing looking at some of the promo stuff and listening to clips of the revised song score on YouTube...it's a bit of a stretch to call this the "black version of Annie", even if the lead character is a black version of Annie. This is very much the (aggressively) 2014 iTunes/pop radio version of "Annie".
12682795, saw it over the weekend with the kid
Posted by Seven, Mon Dec-22-14 08:33 PM
...we enjoyed it
12682800, :)
Posted by lfresh, Mon Dec-22-14 08:46 PM

~~~~
~~~~
12682903, Can we also factor in the racial bias of RT YTs
Posted by SeV, Tue Dec-23-14 05:24 AM
That hate the fact darkies took over a classic all American white movie

but im banned tho.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!
12683520, No, because 1. the reviews are pretty specific in that
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 03:39 PM
the director, the writer, and Cameron Diaz are at fault here, not Jamie Foxx or Quvenzhané Wallis (save for the singing - no offense to someone's child)

2. "Annie" is not a classic white movie

3. Wesley Morris ain't like this shit either, but also points out that he loved the awful 1982 version and that the kids in his screening loved the apparently awful new version too.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/annie-hobbit-battle-of-the-five-armies-reviews/

>That hate the fact darkies took over a classic all American
>white movie
>
>
>
>but im banned tho.
>____________
>
>Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!
12682905, all these people in here rating a movie they never saw. i enjoyed
Posted by Bruce Belafonte, Tue Dec-23-14 05:37 AM
it.
12683522, Is it even out where you are?
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 03:40 PM
Or did you download it?
12684095, A+ Post, had no idea B.Touch was a crazy person
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Dec-24-14 02:24 PM
Will now check for his post more often.
12684115, why am I a crazy person?
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-24-14 02:52 PM
12684120, my bad fam, its christmas eve I will edit.
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Dec-24-14 03:04 PM
12684160, It's too late to turn back now ©
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-24-14 03:55 PM
so you may as well explain y'self.
12684177, FOH. On the whole, he's reasonable as fuck
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Dec-24-14 04:24 PM
12686011, total = $45.8 est. flick was aight, kids loved it
Posted by Riot, Mon Dec-29-14 11:56 AM
Story was serviceable, singing was death

Whoever thought the public wants to hear Cameron Diaz vocal stylings, i mean... Just... No

But yea, good 4 hushpuppy & ty ty