Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: trying to find a new career path (my programmer bruhs come ere)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12678885&mesg_id=12678911
12678911, RE: trying to find a new career path (my programmer bruhs come ere)
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Dec-17-14 06:31 PM
> don't like
>authority or menial/boring work.
>

i've never had a job where i was micro managed
the vast majority of my jobs i'm actually telling what ever non technical superior i have how i'm going do whatever the business needs
now if you work closely with a technical superior or do an agile methodology with a technical lead it may be different but that hasn't been my experience. even they usually have a hands off approach assuming u aren't missing mad deadlines/fucking up constantly

outside of design and architectural meetings i never feel like i'm answering to someone
i rarely even see/communicate with my "boss"

"boring work" is relative. the vast majority of jobs are CRUD applications you won't care about. ie: wells fargo website or their back end check processing systems.....YAYE!
the excitement is in having design/architectural autonomy to deliver those apps

>For my programmer bros, if I'm 25 and just starting out, what
>languages should I mess with if I'm trying to be employable by
>say...27/28? (ready to go 0-100 real quick and can devote mad
>hours to learning this)

no idea really. android flavored java? c#? scala? javascript? oracle?
python is probably the easiest to learn and most natural to write
i wouldn't get hung up on that too much at first. you'll end up learning 10+ languages anyway if you work for any meaningful length of time
i'd read a design pattern book, a book called clean code and this book by ade oshineye http://www.amazon.com/Apprenticeship-Patterns-Guidance-Aspiring-Craftsman/dp/0596518382
the VAST majority of programming goes on inside of your head (or your copybook or white board)
a lot of it is thinking through design/architecture and creating algorithms to do whatever you're trying to do