Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmy guess is you need 5 - 10 years before you start calling the shots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12678885&mesg_id=12678910
12678910, my guess is you need 5 - 10 years before you start calling the shots
Posted by deejboram, Wed Dec-17-14 06:30 PM
>gotta answer to somebody authority unless you self employed.
>i said i don't like authority not that i'm completely
>unwilling to follow

unless you're some sort of super whiz

that shit they teach you in school be outdated and generally not what is or HOW it is done in the real world

that school shit is theory
in the real world they want it done just good enough but FAST ENOUGH to make the most profit as possible

different shops are run differently of course
but my 14 years in the game i have yet to run across a shop that wants to let me spend ample time dilly dallying on a pet project
most times they dont even want me to "show my work"
they're like "does the shit work? yes? so SEND IT!"

simple as that

you got some cats that code for the googs here and maybe they run a tighter ship
but the ships i've been part of the crew was pretty fast and loose

it took me like 5 years before i even felt like i was mastering my craft/language (biostatistics and SAS/Stata)
then 5 more years before i felt like i could teach/manage someone else to do what i do

in forensic accounting i was basically trying to find ways folks were hiding money in accts or doing "pump n dump" schemes in commodities markets.
i had autonomy
i now work on a team peddling cancer drugs so we all have to adhere to a similar coding structure or shit will just be too disparate for any of our code segments to work with one another

we each code a bunch of modules then at the end put them all together, ensure they work cohesively, then package it up and send it to the client

i'm doing the same boring work for different clients and different drugs
all in all the want to know the same thing MARKETSHARE and profit margin
very easy to compute
the complexity comes in when you're trying to link up several different data sources to work with each other

that's always new and refreshing

triptych had a dope "ask me" post a short while ago
check that out cause he gave some great recs that even i'm going to look into myself
always be multilingual
i cant tell you the number of times i've gotten gigs/contracts because i'm multilingual AND i have the statistics background as a foundation
many folks can code
but most dont know what they hell they're coding or why they're coding it like that

i work with a bunch of indians (these are the illegal mexican immigrants of the white collar world) and they are good for "knowing SAP/BizObjects" but dont know what the fuck the problem theyre trying to solve