Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI dont have a lot of experience but I can tell you this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12677511&mesg_id=12677553
12677553, I dont have a lot of experience but I can tell you this
Posted by RobOne4, Tue Dec-16-14 07:13 PM
kids grow and do things at different times. My son was the first grandchild in my family and my wife's family. So he has been the measuring stick for when certain milestones should be achieved by my brother and sister in law. But that isnt exactly fair. My son has developed so fast its not even faire to compare my nieces and nephews to him. He was talking in sentences at 2 years old. He was able to recognize words and logos all around him around 2.5 years. For example he knew what kind of car everyone in the family drove by looking at the logos. His memory is really really good and he memorized anything. We would take him on car rides and by the landmarks he would know where we were going. Or what place was near by. If I went to the grocery store by the bowling alley he would ask to go bowling because he knew it was down the street. He knew his ABC's and could count to 20 before he was 2 years old.

When my niece came alone 2 years ago the comparisons began. Anytime she did anything her parents were calling asking how old E was when he did this and that. She was always way behind him. But I knew and my wife knew that our son wasnt "normal". We knew there was something different about him. You could literally see the disappointment in my sister in laws face when she thought my niece was doing something early only to find out my son had done far sooner. But the thing is she was doing these things at the normal rate for a healthy girl.

As of now my niece is almost 3 and still talks in jumble nonsense. You can pick out words here and there but definitely not clear. She isnt potty trained either. She refuses and its hilarious actually. But she is in fact a normal and healthy toddler.

If you are really worried check with your doctor. They should be asking you questions during his check ups to see if he is doing certain things. Can he recognize some colors and shapes, recognize words, how active he is, etc. Let them know you are worried and I am sure they will be able to tell you if there is a need for concern.

When my son was that age people used to be shocked when they found out his age. If I took him to the park he was playing with 5 year olds because the other kids his age didnt talk. So the question I got was always what did you do with him? I give this piece of advice to all new parents who ask for advice. I think it definitely has played a role in his development. Talk to your child.

When he was born I was home alone with him from 6am until 3pm. We would get up I would put him in his baby seat and I would talk to him. Good morning how are you? Look at the sun outside, etc. Just like there was another adult in the house. When I grabbed items I would call them by their name. Lets grab the remote and watch TV. Then show him the remote. If I made breakfast I would explain to him what I was doing and ingredients I was using. He was only a few months but he watched. He was paying attention. I used normal everyday interaction as teaching moments. For example we are going to get put on your blue shoes today. Im going to eat a red apple for lunch. When he started walking I would call out toys and tell him to bring them to me. Bring me the yellow ball. Or the block that has an S on it.

That continues today. If we are at the grocery store I have him sound out signs in the aisles or on packages. He was having trouble with rhyming words so we made a game in the car where I pick out things we see and have him give me 3 rhyming words for it. I throw math problems at him while driving or randomly at home. He will ask me now to do the math game or the rhyming game. Learning is fun to him and it shows.

Like you said it all starts with you. You have to carve out a little bit of time every day and make that his time. Read a book, color a picture, play a game, or just talk to him while you have a snack. But find that time.