Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHouston: Teenager breaks into apt then is attacked by police K-9 unit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12677303
12677303, Houston: Teenager breaks into apt then is attacked by police K-9 unit
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 03:41 PM
http://www.click2houston.com/news/hpd-investigating-k9-officer-attack/30248902

long story short
girl and her teenage friends break into a empty apartment in some complex
partying, doin dumb stuff teenagers do

cops come, tell them to come out
they dont
cops send in dog
girl gets bit up

who wrong(er) here?
the cops or the girl for saying hurteded in the news clip?

NOTE: this has the right wing going NUTS over "libtards" defending the criminals at all cost
12677309, would have assumed these were white teens based off this
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Dec-16-14 03:46 PM
>girl and her teenage friends break into a empty apartment in some complex
>partying, doin dumb stuff teenagers do

them being black and the current climate kind of changes things
since they could argue that they were scared to interact with the police given recent events
12677315, watch the vid. girl 16 but look like 45yr old nene leaks but sound white
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 03:50 PM
straight hood booger sounding white

we used to break into abandoned houses back inna day
take girls in there and hump and grind on them on the pissy mattresses
swim in they cholera infested pool
dumb shit like that
12677375, nah she sounds like a hoodrat. "That hurted"
Posted by Binladen, Tue Dec-16-14 04:17 PM
12677349, Jeb Bush tossed his hat in the ring for POTUS too
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:04 PM
Cons don't want him tho
They want Ted Cruz to run
12677372, Quanell X
Posted by Binladen, Tue Dec-16-14 04:16 PM
12677377, He's htown's version of Jesse Sharpton...they HATE him here
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:18 PM
There was an article in the weekly paper about how he gets PAID to represent these families in times like this
I'm sure this lady had to pay him anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 CASH before he appeared on camera with/for her.

It's a very streamlined and detailed process.
12677389, Outstanding
Posted by Binladen, Tue Dec-16-14 04:25 PM
12677396, Ugh how about SICKENING
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:28 PM
he charged this lady in Louisiana $4,500 retainer to get started on her wrongful death of her son by some backwater police dept
Quanell took the money and ran
she was smart enough to record all convos between herself and quanell so this can come to light

quanell and jesse and nem are only in it for the money

EDIT: read about quanell charging people here...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/falkenberg/article/Headline-goes-here-and-here-5838584.php#/0

and another one...

http://abc13.com/archive/6454606/

Erik and Sean Ibarra are suing attorney Lloyd Kelley claiming breach of contract. Earlier this year, Kelley helped them win a large cash settlement. The Ibarra's claim Kelley overcharged them.

The paperwork included documentation that Quanell X was paid a $20,000 consultation fee for that original case.

12677404, are you a subscriber? can you swipe?
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-16-14 04:33 PM
there's a pay wall.
12677409, http://abc13.com/archive/6454606/
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:36 PM
http://abc13.com/archive/6454606/

QUESTIONING QUANELL X ABOUT HIS ROLE
October 17, 2008 6:03:10 AM PDT
By Jessica Willey
HOUSTON -- A lawsuit is bringing up questions about money and the role of self-described community activist Quanell X.Lawyers say he's been paid for publicizing a controversial case
A receipt of the money was part of papers filed in a new lawsuit by two brothers who successfully sued the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Erik and Sean Ibarra are suing attorney Lloyd Kelley claiming breach of contract. Earlier this year, Kelley helped them win a large cash settlement. The Ibarra's claim Kelley overcharged them.

The paperwork included documentation that Quanell X was paid a $20,000 consultation fee for that original case.

Both he and we have been calling Quanell X a community activist for years, but is he only that? Or does a new lawsuit blur the line?

He has been on the front lines of some of the city's most high profile cases, fighting injustice, racism and even getting accused murderers to open up. But there may be more to Quanell X than meets the eye. A lawsuit sheds new light on some of Quanell X's activities.

In a lawsuit filed this week, the defendants, Erik and Sean Ibarra opened the door. It alleges their former attorney, Lloyd Kelley, whom they are now suing, expensed $20,000 for Quanell. The reason is consultation fees. In an interview Kelley told us that covered a number of Quanell's services including organizing this protest rally outside the Harris County Jail, consulting on the trial but most importantly drumming up publicity.

"You think $20,000 is some excessive profit for a guy that sat there in the trials and has the courtroom packed with people so that this was not going to go under the radar screen which is what the county hoped," Kelley asked.

So what does that make Quanell X?

"It is not what I call a community activist," said Professor Garth Jowett of the University of Houston school of communications. "A community activist would do that and not receive a private fee."

I asked Jowett what a person is called who gets paid to draw media attention.

"That would be a publicity of press agent," Jowett replied.

In fact, Quanell is known for getting the media to show up. Thursday he dramatically defended a pastor friend but denied profit.

I asked him if the pastor paid him to defend him.

"No not at all, the pastor did not pay me a dime," Quanell X replied.

He also denied what Kelley paid him for.

"I did work on the Ibarra Brother case as a jury consultant, but there was no $20,000 paid to me for a protest march, that's not true," he replied.

He wouldn't say how much he's been paid and when pressed, he kept walking away.

Willey: Are you a community activist or are you a public relations person because it looks like you're a public relations person when you get paid for publicity.

Quanell: Jessica, Jessica I hear what you're saying and I understand the line of questioning you have but Jessica what I am going to do is what I said I would do. It's inappropriate to make public comments about any of that until I speak to.

Willey: But you have done this for years so do you get paid to put on these press conferences? Quanell: No I do not.

Willey: To get the media here?

Quanell: I do not charge for press conferences, never have.

Willey: But why doesn't the pastor call us on his own then?

Quannell: Because we are all brothers and we have always worked together but one thing I can assure you not a dime was given to me by anybody

Quanell X says he has not yet talked to Lloyd Kelley about the fee exposed in those court documents. He says he makes money because he's a businessman and represents people for free. They find him through a hotline, he says, and a Web site.

As far as the Ibarra lawsuit goes, they claim Lloyd Kelley charged them $256,000 instead of $130,000 as filed in the paperwork. Kelley says his expenses and fees are fair and that the Ibarra's were told they'd be responsible for costs after the court settlement.

Headline che
12677417, seems like he'd just get a law license
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-16-14 04:42 PM
maybe he has felonies or something.
12677423, being bar'd means youre barred from unscrupulous practices
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:46 PM
a JD would be an impediment to his biz model
and an uneccessary expense
12677462, yea true
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-16-14 05:03 PM
12677411, chron article
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:38 PM
concerns
By Lisa FalkenbergOctober 21, 2014 Updated: October 22, 2014 1:43pm

Image 1 out of 3
Eric Kayne
Activist Quannell X along with local community leaders and hip-hop stars had a protest in 2013 calling for justice for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
In the phone recording, Quanell X's voice is firm and reassuring, with only a hint of impatience.

"I need yes-or-no answers. Don't give me details. Give me answers," the Houston community activist tells the desperate mother on the other end, as her toddler grandson is heard squirming around on her lap.

It was Royce Eckley's own quest for answers in her son's January 2013 death that drove her to seek the help of a familiar face she'd seen many times on TV, a longtime pot-stirrer and influential police go-between who has achieved minor celebrity status in Houston's black communities.

Eckley, a chatty retired telephone operator who lives in Katy, tries to keep it short. Her 37-year-old son Marcus, who grew up in Houston, died on Jan. 4, 2013 in the small Louisiana town of Leonville where he lived with his wife and children. Authorities said it was suicide. Eckley has serious doubts.

Her son and his wife were working through problems, but Eckley had never known him to be depressed. There was no exit wound on his body, although that's possible with a .32-caliber pistol, which police say he used to shoot himself in the mouth. Officials were slow in providing records, some of which contained errors.

RELATED

Falkenberg: Truth trumps outcry over sermon subpoenas Falkenberg: A 13-year-old mother now has a family, her baby and a Falkenberg: solid message, clumsy delivery Falkenberg: Abbott should give up losing battle on gay marriage Falkenberg: Can Patrick champion poor and vouchers in same
In the conversation recorded in February 2013, which Eckley played for me, Quanell asks twice about an autopsy report. The second time, he hears Eckley's answer: "No, they didn't do one. He went from the house to the funeral home."

"They didn't give you an autopsy report?" he says. "Jesus Christ."

After a few minutes, Quanell has a plan: "Here's the deal. I would want to get my people into Louisiana, get them on the ground, start asking questions, speak to the right people," he says.

It was exactly what Eckley wanted to hear. She had been calling authorities and become an amateur sleuth, setting up a web site and even installing an app on her smart phone that automatically recorded conversations. She got nowhere.

"OK, sister, let me ask you this question," Quanell says. "Can you afford to retain us to work this case?"

"How much, I mean, how much would I have to pay you?" says Eckley, who hadn't realized the "activist" she often saw on the TV news protesting racism and injustice in press conferences charged a fee.

"Ma'am, it would cost at least $4,500 for us to work this case, at least that," Quanell says.

"If you're able to raise the money, I'm able to put my people on the ground and get there myself," Quanell says. He leaves Eckley with this assurance: "I want to say this: whatever answers you don't have now, I will get those answers for you."

LOCAL

Man sets himself on fire outside Harris courthouse The East Gate of Fort Hood links directly to the streets of Killeen. Map reveals when Texas counties hit their peak incomes Efaw, left, and Gavin MacPherson laugh with friends after building paper hats during the weekly bingo game at the SPJST Lodge #88 in the Heights. The senior citizens are now sharing their bingo nights with young professionals in their 20s and 30s. Czech bingo hall in the Heights not going anywhere, says chairman Attorney to take helm as justice of peace in NW Harris County Law on the side of Fort Worth cop who killed neighbor's dog Grand jury investigates HPD officer in fatal shooting of unarmed
"Oh my God, thank you," Eckley says.

A few days later, she was in a Denny's parking lot on Fry Road with $1,400 she raised in part from former coworkers at the phone company, relatives and friends. With her grandson in tow, she says she climbed into Quanell's car. She handed him the money, he handed her a pink paper contract with lots of small print. He said he'd work with her on the balance she owed.

The "retainer agreement" was with a consulting firm called QX Advisors Inc. The very first paragraph warns: "this agreement is CONFIDENTIAL and may not be shared with a third party without written consent."

Eckley said she and Quanell probably corresponded, sporadically, always with her initiating. Once, she said, Quanell told her he was trying to get a permit for a rally in Leonville, but nothing came of it. She said she never saw any proof that he was working on the case. Her last communication with him came in July.

Then, one day, she said, he stopped responding to her calls, texts and emails. She inquired as to whether he was hitting the same walls she had, whether he was in over his head. She asked for her money back. Nothing.

She searched online and realized others had complained of similar experiences. In 2011, KHOU's Jeremy Rogalski began a series of reports on Houston-area residents who had had similar experiences.

"I don't know how he gets away with doing that," Eckley told me. "That's not right. Now, when I see him, it more or less turns my stomach."

For his part, Quanell X told me in a phone interview his firm did "quite a bit" on the complicated case and his efforts were ongoing. He said he hadn't stopped communicating with Eckley. He'd just told her to be patient.

"All we can do is help her. We're not magicians. We just can't make the motive or the reasoning magically appear," he said.

Quanell said he'd been to Louisiana twice himself. He said he'd had a "long conversation" with the district attorney and met with a law enforcement officer he wouldn't name. He said he'd encountered obstacles, including Eckley herself, whom he accused of repeatedly attacking Marcus' wife, Astrea, on social media and suggesting she played a role in the death.

Eckley called the latter a "bald-faced lie." Astrea said Eckley never attacked her on social media.

Meanwhile, St. Landry Parish District Attorney Earl Taylor said he and his first assistant "have no recollection as to speaking with Mr. Quanell X."

Quanell's firm, QX Advisors, was registered in October of 2011, around the time KHOU's Rogalski was investigating the activist. Quanell says there's no connection. State comptroller records showed late last month that QX Advisors had forfeited business rights, apparently for failure to pay taxes. Quanell called it a "tax dispute." This week, records showed the firm's status had changed to "active," indicating a resolution.

The Better Business Bureau of Greater Houston and South Texas gives the firm an F, in part for not responding to complaints.

Asked why he insisted on a confidentiality agreement, Quanell said it was in clients' best interest.

"That's the way it was structured by my lawyers," he said. "You deal with a lot of personal matters in the work that I do. Those should be confidential."

It's hard for Eckley to believe Quanell has done anything in her best interest. She says the whole nightmare of her son's death and lingering questions has been like a "Lifetime movie" and Quanell only made it worse.

"He told me 'you're a real mother and if something would happen to me I would hope my mother would be just like you are,'" Eckley said.

There's no question that Quanell X has used his influence for good. He has helped police obtain confessions in murder cases. He appeared on The View this summer alongside a teen rape victim whose assault was broadcast and mocked on social media.

But stories like Eckley's revive questions about the fees Quanell is charging for his help. And about whether the good for which Quanell gets the headlines and the airtime and the community crediblity is for social justice, or money.
12677418, re:
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Dec-16-14 04:43 PM
>long story short
>girl and her teenage friends break into a empty apartment in
>some complex
>partying, doin dumb stuff teenagers do
>
>cops come, tell them to come out
>they dont
>cops send in dog
>girl gets bit up

So... what's the problem here? Their respective parents didn't raise them to not do dumb criminal shit like breaking and entering (we call that B&E around here)? They mad at the dog for going dog?

B&E is a FELONY here in PA (not sure about TX). They wanted kid glove treatment while committing a felony? lol.
12677424, not sure the situation required a dog
Posted by hardware, Tue Dec-16-14 04:46 PM
12677431, Only other options I can think of are standoff or raid...
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Dec-16-14 04:49 PM
...and those other two options tend to be much more violent than sending in a dog.

Cops said "come out with your hands up!" and they said "naw," so...
12677437, yeah either SWAT team or that million dollar robot they got
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:51 PM
both of which are far more expensive to operate than a bowl of Eukanuba
12677432, yes it did
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:49 PM
either dogs or tear gas and flash bombs
you choose

they not sending officers in a dark barricaded apartment with unknown assailants inside
12677429, they just broke into a lil apt. they didnt have to sick the dogs on em
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 04:47 PM
>>long story short
>>girl and her teenage friends break into a empty apartment in
>>some complex
>>partying, doin dumb stuff teenagers do
>>
>>cops come, tell them to come out
>>they dont
>>cops send in dog
>>girl gets bit up
>
>
>So... what's the problem here? Their respective parents didn't
>raise them to not do dumb criminal shit like breaking and
>entering (we call that B&E around here)? They mad at the dog
>for going dog?
>
>B&E is a FELONY here in PA (not sure about TX). They wanted
>kid glove treatment while committing a felony? lol.
12677445, I agree somewhat. Don't know what kinda training these dogs have
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Dec-16-14 04:53 PM
Seems a little weird that a highly-trained dog starts biting people, instead of cornering (ever seen a sheepdog?), but other than that I don't see a problem.

The only real complaint I can see is "why wasn't that dog trained to not bite people for fun?" Police dogs always seem mad aggressive tho. But I guess dogs emulate their owners.
12677455, is this mf for real? lmao...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Dec-16-14 05:00 PM
>Seems a little weird that a highly-trained dog starts biting
>people, instead of cornering (ever seen a sheepdog?),
12677457, are you serous? those dogs are ATTACK dogs not farmhands
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 05:01 PM
they are trained to bite/control an assailant and not let go
dog did EXACTLY what its trained to do
many of those k-9 have been stabbed/injured trying to subdue a barricaded assailant

that dogs job is to bite the shit out of ppl
long enough to startle the person so humans can take control of situation

>Seems a little weird that a highly-trained dog starts biting
>people, instead of cornering (ever seen a sheepdog?), but
>other than that I don't see a problem.
>
>The only real complaint I can see is "why wasn't that dog
>trained to not bite people for fun?" Police dogs always seem
>mad aggressive tho. But I guess dogs emulate their owners.
12677446, if they had on the legend blue Jorn XI, they deserved it
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-16-14 04:55 PM

12677460, i been to fuzzys 3 times in november
Posted by deejboram, Tue Dec-16-14 05:03 PM
i cant stay away!!!
thx for the rep
12677452, should've shot her
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Dec-16-14 05:00 PM