Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectvery good points. all of these need comprehensive solutions.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12676798&mesg_id=12678184
12678184, very good points. all of these need comprehensive solutions.
Posted by poetx, Wed Dec-17-14 11:42 AM
i remember like, 20+ yrs ago, in college, talking about police brutality, racial profiling and the like, while working in the English office. and a white dude who was one of them tie dye, grateful dead type cats, schooled me on how they fucked w/ his ppls, too. that's where i learned about the whole 'put a phone book on their head and beat them w/ the night stick to prevent bruising'.

cops, in general are fucked up. (or, rather, have unacceptably large percentages of fucked up ppl working within their ranks, creating and violating rules, and responsible for non-oversight of same).

so there's a fine line to walk with respect to the movement(s).

but #blacklivesmatter HAS to be and remain at the forefront. because if this egregious shit was happening to other people with the same level of arrogance and utter impunity as it does to us, it would have BEEN resolved.

much like the civil rights movement resulted in unprecedented gains for white women, short people (both of whom, ironically, couldn't be cops prior to reforms enacted in the wake of the civil rights movements).

but you are right, the mistreatment is pervasive. the entitlements, lack of accountability.

>the thing that gets me is that while the numbers are not
>enormous (no doubt larger than shown because of shoddy
>reporting though), they indicate just how much other shit
>happens that stops short of KILLING someone.
>
>i hope the activism doesn't stop at trying to halt actual
>murders. we have this societal fixation with the most grave
>thing and it causes us to overlook more pervasive problems.
>like anti-capital punishment people who don't really give a
>fuck about prison reform.

for real. although knee jerk, folks i've known who are staunchly anti-capital punishment tend to be all in for comprehensive prison reform, also.

>
>the cops fuck with people, beat them, falsely imprison them,
>molest them sexually and all sorts of other fucked up shit
>that doesn't produce any corpses.

yep. i think, though, that the examination of the more extreme cases shows just how fucked up the system is and why it is so structurally difficult to deal with the non murder-death-kill offenses.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad