Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYES. What a horrible character in a novel and it goes beyond her affair
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12676014&mesg_id=12676648
12676648, YES. What a horrible character in a novel and it goes beyond her affair
Posted by BigReg, Tue Dec-16-14 10:23 AM
>but the character was super hypocritical and never truly owned
>up to her part in their separation (which made the fact that
>she was being a stubborn ass mule even harder to swallow)
>
>if it was purely circumstantial (he moved and she couldnt find
>him or something), i'd appreciate the ballsy-ness more
>
>
>she kinda looked like an asshole.

My problem with the book is that it could just be on some real shit about how we are all hypocritical in our own way when it comes to culture/perception...but there seemed to be this undercurrent of co-signing her ultimately snobby behavior like it was cool because she's confident, pretty & smart.

Someone (was it here?) said it was like if the HBO show Girls had added her as the Nigerian member of the crew which I thought was a perfect comparison. On that show despite the trust fund kids acting like assholes all throughout the shows runtime in the post episode commentary Leah Dunham NEVER addresses it, she just re-interates ust how tough they fucking have it trying to find themselves, lol.

It's similar to the Americanah; I get the impression that the author doesn't realize how much of an asshole her character really is and it just leads to you reading a very well written book about someone you would avoid in real life...but you're supposed to like and sympathize with her anyway?