Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwtf??? Is it just me or is food expiring waaaaay earlier than dated?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12675788
12675788, wtf??? Is it just me or is food expiring waaaaay earlier than dated?
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 12:32 PM
Recently, we've been having food expire really early, especially milk and chicken. I buy chicken, throw it in the fridge, pull it out the next day to cook it and the shit is bad. I've bought steak, turkey wings/legs, milk, and even pastries and the shit is bad within days of buying it... sometimes in the case of meats its already bad by the time I get to the crib. Chicken is the usual offender, but I copped some smoked turkey legs a few weeks ago and them joints smelled like open asshole when I got to the crib and opened 'em up.

Anyone else noticing this or is it just the stores I'm coppin from?

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12675795, Where are you shopping??
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Dec-15-14 12:34 PM

12675802, son hood turning into a food desert
Posted by hardware, Mon Dec-15-14 12:37 PM
12675849, Local Kroger or Safeway affiliate stores usually
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 12:58 PM
Sometimes Whole Foods or Sprouts. Organic shit I would more or less use immediately unless I freeze it but there has been the odd occasion I would buy some "fresh" chicken from Whole Foods or Sprouts and the shit was bad by the time I got to the crib.

I try to avoid grocery shopping at Walmart except for dry goods, pop, beer/wine/liquor, or something like that.

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12675852, Return that shit.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Dec-15-14 01:00 PM
Lately it HAS been hard to find quality produce though...
never had a problem with my meats...
12675856, I stood in a long ass line with them stankin ass turkey legs
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 01:04 PM
Told the cat in customer service that the smell I saw him checkin for was them bullshit ass legs I had in my bag. Dude dry heaved a bit when I opened up the bag and pulled 'em out.

We ate something else that night. I wasn't about to trust any of the smoked turkey they had available.

R.I.P. Disco D
12676185, you can eat smoked turkey legs?
Posted by double negative, Mon Dec-15-14 05:36 PM
i always thought you used them to season food like greens!

how do you prepare them?
12676194, heat and eat
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 05:42 PM
You can get 'em at any county/state fair and Disney Land sells 'em (at least they did when we went some years ago).

If they're done right they taste a bit like ham. My moms first introduced 'em to us in the mid-late 80's.

R.I.P. Disco D
12676195, I'll look into this
Posted by double negative, Mon Dec-15-14 05:43 PM
12675800, yes where are you shopping?
Posted by labcoat, Mon Dec-15-14 12:36 PM
and are you only buying organic?
etc

because that may have a lot to do with it
12675801, is your fridge broken?
Posted by sndesai1, Mon Dec-15-14 12:37 PM
maybe it's not staying cool enough
12675829, check the temp in your fridge
Posted by TR808, Mon Dec-15-14 12:47 PM
happened to me but yours sounds really bad...

is your freezer working okay?
12675854, Nah, fridge is tight
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 01:01 PM
shit comes out cold and depending on where I place it drinks might start forming little ice crystals overnight.

Still, if I buy it and it's bad when I get to the crib it's not my fridge that's an issue.

R.I.P. Disco D
12675834, your grocery store is fucking up
Posted by Crucian1, Mon Dec-15-14 12:48 PM
also pay attention to "sell by" and "use buy" dates. Most stores will discount things that are closer to expiration dates so you may have bought it on the day it expires and you don't use until 1 or 2 days after and it starts to have the gray spoiled look to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You posting in a hoe's tone (c) monkeynuts
12675848, are you shopping in the clearance section?
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Dec-15-14 12:57 PM
12675853, I KNOW YOU WASH YO MEATS RIGHT??
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Dec-15-14 01:01 PM

12675857, do you keep food in your trunk while you are at work?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Dec-15-14 01:04 PM
how the hell is food bad by the time you get home?

I would return that shit ASAP.

12675868, I usually do except in the case of Whole Foods or Sprouts
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 01:11 PM
only 'cause they're both in different directions across town and I don't always feel like battling traffic to return them shits.

R.I.P. Disco D
12675871, fruits and vegetables do not last like they when I was a kid
Posted by sixteenstone, Mon Dec-15-14 01:12 PM
That shit is annoying.
12675888, I noticed that too.
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 01:26 PM
But then again we used to keep a lot of stuff in the fridge that they're now saying you shouldn't like apples and oranges.

R.I.P. Disco D
12676115, who's telling you not to refrigerate oranges?
Posted by JayEmm, Mon Dec-15-14 04:32 PM
that's silly. citrus fruits (unlike apples) don't continue to ripen after they've been picked. refrigeration is the only way to maximize their shelf life beyond 7-10 days
12676142, there's articles on it like every other month
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Dec-15-14 05:00 PM
most of them conflict with each other too. The missus read somethig about it and now leaves the lemons and oranges out on the counter. I still put MINE in the fridge tho.

R.I.P. Disco D
12676127, I've only noticed this with Fresh & Easy.
Posted by BlassFemur, Mon Dec-15-14 04:45 PM
12676429, it happens now and then but not with any frequency
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-16-14 12:12 AM
bought some of that noosa yogurt and for some reason two raspberry ones spoiled at least five days before the expiration date.

i have had it happen here and there. just a fluke or could be that they were stored improperly at some point.