Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHmm I feel like youre overthinking a bit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12675506&mesg_id=13082697
13082697, Hmm I feel like youre overthinking a bit
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Oct-16-16 05:04 PM
now bear with me while I overthink your overthink

>It just all of a sudden feels like a random collection of New
>York stories without the narrative glue of the weed guy and
>not the humor of the early episodes.
>

Thats what it always was -- a random collection of NY stories. The weed guy still is the glue.

>episode 4 seemed like a weird handoff between the Asian folks
>story (which I wanted to see more of) and the old raver (which
>I wasn't so interested in) by using the smartphone class
>instead of the weed guy (did the Asian people story have any
>weed connection?)

They didnt have any weed connection in terms of smoking weed. But early in the episode weed guy bumps into them as they are collecting the recycling from the couple's apartment--after he takes out the trash. That was the same trash that they asked him to take out that contains the tick they were so upset about. So the story connected there and again at the Iphone class hand off. To me that was awesome. I caught the first connection right away and the iphone class one wasnt as obvious. I think cause I was interrupted around that time when watching the first time.

So it seems like the formula they are experimenting with to some extent is
half comedic/half dramatic, half old characters/half new. they are using different set ups to achieve this.

I love how the wife in this episode was the uptight assistant from episode 1 of the web series, and now you see her as the uptight boss.

>
>I don't know if the show changed or if it's the nature of
>anthology series but it kind of feels like no matter how good
>any individual story is, there isn't a strong compelling
>reason to tune back in next week.

I dont know if there ever was a compelling reason to tune back next week in the web series and you liked the stories. The nature of the web series --especially since most people caught onto it later was different. You didnt have to wait for weekly episodes. You could watch all these short vignettes at your leisure and early on..some of them were really short.

I think theyre doing a great job of telling NY stories which is the heart of the show, with a heart and without too much pretentiousness, which is hard to do.

Some obvious hipster stories and some not so obvious ones like this Chinese family and the Muslim girl. Some of the nuances of that Chinese (or any immigrant) family they captured so well. I think thats why I loved it. It really reminded me There are small details in that episode that a lot of other shows wouldve missed, that they noted in 15 minutes.

One of the other small nuances when girl is texting with her dad and you see her typing and erasing stuff and changing it. That to me was really cool to se that subtlety of texting. Its been done before but often times people get lazy with texting on screen and just have the messages pop up, they included that nuance of a make up via text that I really appreciated.

>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"