Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt started off so well...lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12673544&mesg_id=12676275
12676275, It started off so well...lol
Posted by Goldmind, Mon Dec-15-14 07:29 PM
Love life:
At the beginning of 2014, I decided to create more work-life balance and start dating again. And boy did I ever lol. Week after week saw me embarking on a new dating adventure with an interesting new guy -- struggling hip-hop dancer, washed up r&b singer, Jamaican asylum seeker, etc. It was a boost to my self-esteem to know that after taking time off, my pimp hand was still strong. None of the suitors panned out in the end, though :-/

Living & finances:
I moved into a new apartment, where my rent is $250 cheaper. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my neighborhood and everything about my living situation. But despite my cheaper rent, I am not saving money (outside of my 401k). Wtf am I doing with all my coins? Is my undying love for Manhattan foodtrucks during lunchtime really hitting me in the wallet like that?

Travel:
I also did some dope traveling -- by July, I had been to Madrid, Barcelona, Denver, and Martha's Vineyard. MV was especially amazing, and I left the island with a newfound sense of peace (and bourgieness).

And then things went downhill...

Health:
In September, I unexpectedly faced a medical crisis, and the pain was unbearable. But after emergency surgery, I felt so blessed to have friends who really showed up for me and made me feel like I wasn't alone, which I honestly didn't expect. Just the little things they did filled me with gratitude.

Career:
My post-surgery return to the politics and editorial roadblocks of the office has been extremely frustrating. Although I'm lucky to have a good job in my industry, I didn't see much professional development this year, which makes me feel stagnant and overlooked. I also failed to fulfill my goal of returning to freelance work on the side.

I hate ending the year with my career and love life on a hampster wheel. But I think that getting both a promotion (which is in the works) and a therapist in early 2015 will set me on a positive path.