Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: one thing i've always thought/noticed about you...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12672254&mesg_id=12674483
12674483, RE: one thing i've always thought/noticed about you...
Posted by Triptych, Fri Dec-12-14 06:21 PM
>is that you seem very disciplined

Thank you! Certainly what self-discipline I have was hard won.

>i'm not normally an envious guy but sometimes i feel like you
>are a more disciplined version of me...
>
>how much conscious effort did it take you to develop that?

A lot, but also a lot of privilege. My dad is a self-made success story, so I got to see that happen up close. That helps tremendously. My stepmom is a motivation speaker. The truth is that it really does take a lot. Basically all that motivation technique amounts to strategies to keep your mind, body, and spirit going as you devote yourself to something. You have to stretch and expand your own capacity. No small task.

Discipline really boils down to creating good habits for yourself. Start with something small "I will put on my running shoes every day" and work up to big goals "I will run the NYC marathon." If you actually do something, anything, every day, you are pretty much guaranteed to get good at it - it's just how humans work. We see it in the reverse direction - if you repeat a bad habit, you'll get "good" at it. It will become thoughtless and routine. Discipline is just lots of good habits. The day-to-day drudgery and the pain of self-denial is addressable through the faith that you are making progress, even if it's temporarily invisible or too slow to see. Over time, the things that used to distract you will fall away, and you will actually become something else. New things will make you happy.

>i've never taken a huge interest in programming but I consider
>it often when i think about my next career move...gotta work
>out that discipline issue though...mad lazy

Generally I don't recommend that people start programming just because it's a good career. It is also very frustrating and demanding in unexpected ways. I do recommend learning programming to gain a facility with computer in general. They are ubiquitous and the better you understand them the more powerful you are, in a sense.

Simply installing linux and trying to do *anything* is an excellent start.

>how long you been playing guitar versus djing?
>
>