Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDon't be mad at my life though cuh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12672207&mesg_id=12672657
12672657, Don't be mad at my life though cuh.
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Dec-11-14 01:52 PM
Here's how I saw it.

I've always been a fan of YG as a hood club banger maker, but never saw him crossing over. In late 2012, many of us were leaning toward Problem...he had more polish and commercial appeal, waaaaay more articulate, can actually rap-rap, had finally learned to make club bangers, and was making good connects. Welcome 2 Mollywood had everyone placing money in his stock instead of YG.

Then, 2013 happened. And...2014 happened. YG always had decent mix tapes for the hoodlums and youngsters, but absolutely NO ONE had faith in his album being anything better than a 6.5/10...we expected a few local/regional bangers, and some filler.

I heard the album, and said............how the fuck he actually make a good album? And yep, I'ma name drop because I got names to drop...but seeing Terrace, Mustard, and Chordz on one project..it all made sense. And folks who work with YG telling me how dope he is as an artist, and even that he's the reason Mustard learned to make dope beats...it all made sense.

So now, I'm hearing album of the year talk, and....I mean, I'm not gonna say it's that good. But it surely exceeded everyone's expectations.

As far as comparisons to GKMC, or it being the "hood nigga's version"...this is what it is...it's basically an album from the view of one of Kendrick's homies that rides in the car with him throughout GKMC. Kendrick's view is more of the "I'm innocent, but still kinda falling into the peer pressure" while YG is the one who is the negative peer pressure, acting up and leading the dirt that's done.