Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectShould We Want Blk Kids To Be Policemen(women)?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12671519&mesg_id=12671519
12671519, Should We Want Blk Kids To Be Policemen(women)?
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I've been thinking abt this for the last several weeks in light of the recent shootings/killing of blk youth/men at the hands of the police

I've heard a lot of ppl say that we need more blk police on the force for the purposes of better interactions w/(poor) urban communities they patrol

Historically, blk ppl have been distrustful of police for the most part and we've directly or indirectly taught our kids to be distrustful of police as well

HipHop music which is the voice of the youth has always had this "us-against-them" approach when it comes to the police and many young ppl do take their cues from HipHop

Most ppl I know have never encouraged their kids to be policemen

Situations like Ferguson highlight the racial disparities throughout most police departments but I also don't believe that having more blk cops would necessarily change the relationship w/the police and the ppl they're supposed to "protect and serve"

From my own experiences, blk cops have tended to be harder on their own than white cops

Poll question: Should We Want Blk Kids To Be Policemen(women)?

Poll result (21 votes)
Yes (14 votes)Vote
No (7 votes)Vote