Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthere is a food one I started last month and
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12670604&mesg_id=12670710
12670710, there is a food one I started last month and
Posted by astralblak, Tue Dec-09-14 03:55 PM
there are a couple by Longo and some one else when they were moving here that breaks down pricing and area, but those might be been archived

but basically LA COUNTY is HUGE. shit 60 miles North is still in the county, and areas that are actually their own cities like Culver and Santa Monica are still pretty much referred / looked at as the "westside" LA, and yes the east west divide is real.

LA proper, in my opinion is Downtown, Mid City, Inglewood, Baldwin Hills, Leimert park, East Los, and South Central. I've never lived in any, have friends and family in each. violence/crime is low in each area relative to what it was in the late70s-90s, and honestly besides Downtown, there are nice homes to buy/live in each area. highest concentration of Black folk, and Mexicanos / other latinos.

Silverlake, Echo park, and parts of Highland are the hipster/creative hubs in the east-ish parts of LA. there first is VERY white, the second was a predominately Chicano neighborhood that is being rapidly gentrified. one of my favorite spots, the Echo (raegge/dub and electronic acts perform there and relatively cheap drinks) is there.

Pasadena, Eagle Rock, and Atwater Village (veer far enough east in atwater and it gets a lil' grimey old gang areas) are working and middle class areas that have there own little eateries and performance venues. VERY nice homes to rent or buy. mostly White with a good number of Latinos, and some brooks brother Blacks

Hollywood is what the movies show you. outside of Amoeba (huge record store, that has everything) it's too loud and active for my "tastes". literally celluloid bourgeois opulence next to dystopian poverty

West Ho is affluent and gay, pricey as shit too.

Beverly Hills is what it is in the movies and rather uncomfortable if your skin happens to be brown.

our museums and galleries are incredible. From the their architecture to their actual work: MOCA, MOCA geffen, LACMA, The Getty, Known gallery, 1988, HVW8, Pappilion, and Seventh letter.

I haven't even spoken on the beach areas, west side, fairfax, lil ethiopa and "The valley" (aka were I was raised)