Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject*City Harvest/Volunteer Opportunities*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12670553
12670553, *City Harvest/Volunteer Opportunities*
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 02:48 PM
..last month, KosherSam set up this memorial fund for his brother Mark through City Harvest (its never too late to donate):

https://giving.cityharvest.org/mark-lewis-memorial

in addition to accepting charitable donations, City Harvest also recruits volunteers. everyone that signed up for Volunteer Orientation (mandatory) scheduled for 12/16/14 (12p-1p), that date is quickly approaching. *anyone who didn't register, please check http://www.cityharvest.org/ for the next available orientation.

today i received this friendly reminder/update:

This is a friendly reminder that you are registered for the New Volunteer Orientation on 12/16/2014 from 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM.

If you have additional questions, comments or feedback, please contact Volunteer Services at volunteerservices@cityharvest.org or call 646-412-0738.

All the best,

Volunteer Services

PROJECT DETAILS

Borough: Manhattan

Description of Duties: To become a City Harvest volunteer, you are asked to attend a New Volunteer Orientation. At the orientation you will learn more about our activities and how to get involved. Please come to our new office location at 6 East 32nd Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10016.

Please note that if you are under 18 years of age a parent or guardian will need to accompany you at the Orientation to complete the necessary paperwork.

If interested in participating in Nutrition Education projects, please sign up for the 3-hour Nutrition Education Training. You will be asked to participate in a pre-recorded webinar that will review City Harvest volunteering.

Additional Information:

Requirements:

Link for Directions: https://maps.google.com/

Contact Person: Alice Lewin 646-412-0673 alewin@cityharvest.org

If for some reason you need to cancel, please log into your account at cityharvestvolunteers.civicore.com click on the "home" page, find the scheduled opportunity, and click "cancel".

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
12670595, I'm going to try my best to make it to that orientation next week
Posted by sixteenstone, Tue Dec-09-14 03:15 PM
12670620, if you can't make it, there's another orientation...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 03:23 PM
..but its on staten island (lol)

12/20/14 12p-1p (30 spots still available).

*please note: any city harvest volunteer orientation qualifies you to participate in city harvest events.

12670633, actually that date and time works so much better
Posted by sixteenstone, Tue Dec-09-14 03:25 PM
but Staten Island though, ugh!
12670647, yeah, that's one helluva trek...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 03:32 PM
..for anyone who doesn't live on SI lol.

12670822, if you for sure can't do the 16th, let me know and i'll go in your place.
Posted by R A i n, Tue Dec-09-14 04:56 PM
12670698, they took over my old floor when my company moved...we were actually
Posted by R A i n, Tue Dec-09-14 03:49 PM
on the 4th so they have 4 & 5...
bmg was up top floor which is why i'd always awkwardly see goat-singer john legend and his girl.
12670769, so can i count on your participation?
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 04:31 PM
..THANKS RAIN!!!

12670809, thisdude...would have signed up for the 16th but, it doesn't look like
Posted by R A i n, Tue Dec-09-14 04:50 PM
it's available...unless i can take sixteenstone's spot.

but, i volunteer regularly sir with God's Love We Deliver which is here in Brooklyn, Meals on Wheels and St. Francis Xavier Church :-P
12670859, keep movin' the movement!..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 05:21 PM
..happy to see you're involved in charitable functions.

please be sure to post about those events/opportunities. there may be people in the OkayCommunity that would like to get involved.

12671180, when did God's Love We Deliver move from Spring Street?
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Wed Dec-10-14 09:40 AM
12671204, they've been 'renovating' spring street...when you walk past
Posted by R A i n, Wed Dec-10-14 10:05 AM
it's still all blocked off...Brooklyn was supposed to be temporary but, i've been going to the bk one for 2 years now so, not sure what they're ultimately going to do.
12671251, oh wooooooow
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Wed Dec-10-14 10:33 AM
I'm barely in that area anymore
I used to volunteer there 3-4 years ago
12670784, Just want to say how touched I am by this
Posted by KosherSam, Tue Dec-09-14 04:40 PM
City Harvest has been sending my mom a list of the names of people that have donated, and I've seen several OKP names on the list, even though none of yall ever met my brother.

I told my mom about this volunteering suggestion, and her face lit up. It was the first smile I'd seen from her in a while.

Unfortunately, neither of us can make these orientation dates, but in the near future we hope to get our training done, and maybe make an annual (or more often) thing of volunteering with City Harvest.

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for everything you've done and continue to do.

"We family."
12670855, i want to thank you and your family...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Dec-09-14 05:17 PM
..for reminding me about City Harvest.

i've been involved with other charitable orgs in the past, but had been meaning to get involved with City Harvest. the memorial fund you set up for your brother definitely lit a spark.

i definitely understand that some people aren't able to make the orientation dates listed (they plan to add more dates). rest assured, your family will be well represented at every function i'm able to attend.

send my best to your fam.