Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMine were directly connected to my menstrual cycle. #hooraywomanhood
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12670431&mesg_id=12671040
12671040, Mine were directly connected to my menstrual cycle. #hooraywomanhood
Posted by ChiBrownSkinLady, Tue Dec-09-14 10:06 PM
Your symptoms sound a lot like mine.

I'd be highly susceptible to them two weeks of my cycle. One of those weeks, I'd be completely alcohol intolerant. Even a sip or two of booze would make me feel incredibly miserable. Once I realized my primary trigger is hormonal, I went on birth control pills to alleviate them. Working in restaurants, not being able to drink ANY booze half the time just wasn't practical for me. But not all pills work with everyone's body chemistry the same way.

Also, magnesium pills help to lessen or completely eliminate symptoms if you take them daily as a preventative step.

And staying properly hydrated also helps. And ginger helps too. I keep crystallized ginger around just in case.

When I would get them, I'd have to take a mix of Advil liquigels and Aleve as *soon* as it started. If that didn't work, I'd take my prescription meds - I found Zomig or Maxalt disintegrating tablets worked best for me. Also a lil caffeine tended to help. But I generally avoid it otherwise because it's also a trigger.

And for some reason, last winter they were triggered by changes in barometric pressure. I could tell you when it was gonna snow cuz I'd get a hellafied headache right beforehand. And given the shitty winter we had last year, that new trigger was the absolute worst. I really hope that bullshit doesn't come back this year, idk if I can deal with that again.

But thankfully I've mostly gotten them under control aside from the external issue of the barometric pressure trigger.