Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNot to be condescending but I find that incredibly naive.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12666691&mesg_id=12667493
12667493, Not to be condescending but I find that incredibly naive.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Dec-04-14 05:36 PM
I went to a regular public school in rural virginia. Wasn't terrible but wasn't the greatest. I took Calculus by watching a television show broadcast from a better school.

As smart as I thought I was I ended up being 4th in my class.

The white girl who was number 2 ended up going to Uva and becoming a doctor. She was straight.

The black kid who I went to church with who was number 3, he wanted to be a doctor went to UVa got his butt but graduated and ended up becoming an EMT. Not bad (not the greatest outcome).

My Val, who I was in the same class for 12 years who always scored higher than men on everything? She flunked out after one semester at VCU. She is the manager of a local restaurant.

How do we explain the differences of outcome?

All 3 who graduated ahead of me worked harder.

I think two of them (the Val and Sal) were actually smarter than me.

Me and the Sal who ended up being the doctor were the only ones from two parent household and I who ended up going to the highest ranked school was the only one who had two parents who both had advance degrees.

I hit the genetic/home lotto. There are a lot of kids you can put in my household and they would do well. my parents fostered a kid. He is graduating from college next year, first in his family. His oldest brother who my parents did not raise is in jail for a double homicide.

It ain't a meritocracy.

>
>Because you said "I did it" when it came to Undergrad, Law
>School and getting hired by a Law firm (and presumably not
>getting fired in a few months at that Law firm).
>
>
>If a person doesn't do the work at the High School to
>Undergrad stage, you can't say they WORKED Hard WHEN IT
>COUNTED THE MOST.
>
>
>If a person messes up the High School and Undergrad stage,
>that puts them in a zone to "work hard" without a decent
>financial result/pay check.
>
>
>Do I wish jobs for people who didn't excel in school got paid
>a living wage? Yes I do. It's clear however people who do the
>work IN THE EARLY STAGES USUALLY REAP REAL BENEFITS THAT THEY
>DESERVE.
>
>Early stages (eduacation) = preparation

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/