Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe response really speaks to the state of mainstream rap music...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12629235&mesg_id=12630658
12630658, The response really speaks to the state of mainstream rap music...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Oct-28-14 07:02 AM
Some of us hate ALL this mainstream stuff they push and market to our children,
but there are those of us who think it's ok as long as it's not in front of nicely dresssed
white folks.

Either it's some bullshit or it's not.

If you're accepting of it, at all, then be fully accepting of it. If it's bullshit in front of white folks,
then it's bullshit all the time, no?
For instance, I say things about how white supremacy functions as system in america,
and alotta folks don't want me to say this in front of white people, because it makes them
uncomfortable. But to hell with that, because it's the truth. It's something I believe in,
and facts that I stand on.

However, you look at the themes in this music, and ask yourself if these are themes
that you wish to stand by. Should we be standing by the will to talk about destroying
ourselves, our communities, devaluing ourselves and our women, etc?
THIS is why it's considered cooning, and it's cooning whether he does it for us or for white folks.
The real problem is that some of yall are fine with this in any space at all.
And miss me with that "it's fiction" crap, because like I always say, too many kids are
living by and emulating these words to rely on that cop-out. Throughout that lil period
where Chiraq was all in the news, the main theme running through the music was that
they're REAL and don't just rap about it... and that "realness" has been a thing is rap
for some time now, since the late 80s, even.