Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't think it's weird at all. People have strong attachments to Cosby
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12628969&mesg_id=12663108
12663108, I don't think it's weird at all. People have strong attachments to Cosby
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Nov-30-14 11:59 AM
I'd argue that Bill Cosby is Cliff Huxtable to most people, and the general perception is that Cliff Huxtable would never, ever, ever, ever even think about doing some shit like that. He's Cliff! He eats big sandwiches, tells stories, and wears the ugliest sweaters this side of Christmas. He's about as iconic a character as we've ever seen on American television. I'd argue that it makes perfect sense that most people would have a far easier time believing such allegations when aimed at a relative stranger as opposed to a guy they grew up on and hold some semblance of sentimental attachment to.

I don't even know who this guy is and yes, it's much easier to accept his allegations at face value whereas part of me didn't- and still doesn't- *want* to believe Cliff Huxtable would do something like that.

It's the same reason white conservatives have a strong tendency toward believing Darren Wilson's version of events and think Obama is the worst leader who ever lived.