Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmeet them where they are rather than trying to force them
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12558665
12558665, meet them where they are rather than trying to force them
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 07:05 PM
>'but what will i tell my kids??'
>then this whole thing is an uphill battle already

which is why we're having the conversation now about how to address that. saying forget about you, you ain't down for the struggle, isn't the way.

>i usually don't fk with boycotts in general bc of what was
>explained at the beginning of this post
>folks boycott for whatever amount of time then its right back

that's why it's important to understand the purpose. this again is why i suggested we push it to black history month so that it's two actions both of which emphasize our cause. it provides a way for people who might not otherwise be down to participate, without completely disregarding their own traditions. also an uptick in sales for black history month is itself another statement. and if we emphasize the black businesses at that time all the better.

>ppl not willing to put consumerism aside for a shot at some
>tangible change are the problem
>and i'm not sure i feel like dealing with that problem.

you may not have to, but some of us will if we are to form the types of coalitions that will enact the change we desire.

>back to dealing with likeminded ppl
>imo its too late to be trying to convince the whole of
>everybody how real shit is
>you either get it or you don't

they are getting it but they want to know what they can do from where they are. we have to give them that option.

>you either on board or you not

we want them on board so we have to provide a way for them to be not an easy way for them to dismiss it.

>if you rather buy gifts for your kids than participate then
>enjoy your xmas
>i'll go back to how i was approaching shit.
>
>ppl aren't gonna know how serious shit is until we don't even
>have the option to buy gifts.

it's serious now. this is serious. real talk i don't celebrate christmas with my kids. my kids know this and know why. they also know that their aunts and uncles do and come to appreciate that time of year. so i've had these discussions before, i know how it goes, and if we don't account for them we end up mad at our own people for not getting on board rather than staying focused on the task at hand with them. through this their eyes can open up but only if we can get them involved.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."