Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I'm willing to concede presents after the season but hear me out
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12558559
12558559, RE: I'm willing to concede presents after the season but hear me out
Posted by BlassFemur, Tue Aug-26-14 05:27 PM
>1) Young young kids just won't get it. It will feel like
>punishment, but a clip of Santa explaining why he won't be
>able to make until Black History Month will do wonders for
>them. You gotta realize many of them are already planning on
>those gifts. They just won't understand why they aren't
>getting them.

To me, this is where kids need to be kids and parents need to be parents. Kids don't have to sign on for this shit. Especially the young ones. They don't have their own money and only get those presents out of the goodness of their parent's heart. And to be honest, fuck Christmas. Why black folks go to such lengths to keep this myth alive puzzles me. I think that rude-awakening is what black kids need, more than any new bullshit toy out there. We need to start teaching our kids to be stronger.

>2) Taking a us vs them stance is the quickest way for it to
>spin out of conrol because they have the tools to coopt, and
>will use them. If instead it isn't adversarial and we tell
>them that they can be a part in ways which enrich their brand
>through social responsibility, it hands them their own rope to
>say nah.

If this is even slightly successful, it's going to be attacked no matter what. We need to have it in our minds that they're gonna use whatever tools they have on day one. If folks wants to participate, it's as easy as keeping your ass at home on black Friday and Christmas. I don't think we need to go out of our way to make it a melting pot type thing, but more of a "Hey, if yall are down, all you gotta do is keep your Christmas money in your pocket until further notice". Non-black folks who wants to participate would be able to do so without permission or any acknowledgment, I would think.