Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThings that need to be clear before moving forward
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12558481
12558481, Things that need to be clear before moving forward
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 04:07 PM
I. Goals

The primary objective here seems to be legislation which takes on the factors contributing to the violence in our communities. So far these seem to include:

1) Education trajectories which lead to sustained employment
2) Job creation in our communities
3) Accountability of the police through community based organizations and cameras on officers
4) National investigation on police violence toward the unarmed
5) De-escalation of efforts to militarize the police
6) Open investigation of alleged police malpractice

II. Leadership

At some point there needs to be a figurehead. My own suggestion is a coalition of pastors and local community leaders, but I think there also needs to be a high profile figure. The ice bucket challenge started with Bill Gates. Also I think getting our political leaders via the congressional black caucus on board can also be critical. And perhaps most important we have to reach the families of those that have lost loved ones.

III. Action

Canceling Christmas as a campaign to raise awareness towards these goals by showing economically how this affects the entire nation. I agree with the messaging of this around solidarity with the families who have suffered losses because they cannot share this season with their dead.

There needs to be almost a calendar of activities around which folk can organize locally in showing of support. Some key dates would be Black Friday and the twelve days of christmas. Having these activities and communicating clearly with people how they can still enjoy the holiday season without the purchasing of gifts is essential. Also perhaps some sort of social media action. Was just thinking it'd be interesting on Black Friday to actually pack stores with people and then clear them out without anyone buying anything.

Also I think its important that we offer it as postponement and work to get the retailers on board. IF we do a christmas for black history month we ask them to get on board and will remember their solidarity come Feb as we celebrate.

IV. Countermeasures

How are we going to offset the seasonal jobs?

How do we counter attacks?

We'll probably need another post to bring it all together, but if we can I know some numbers I have to call and hopefully many of the other people similarly to actually get this thing poppin.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."