Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's a fair point...I did assume
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12558262
12558262, That's a fair point...I did assume
Posted by Lightfoot, Tue Aug-26-14 02:26 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I just didn't see any mention of this use of existing infrastructure, and how that infrastructure would be effectively brought on board--which seems really hard if those groups already have existing campaigns. Usually a series of people going "hey I've got a great idea" only goes so far.

I'm sorry to sound disaffected, but it really just comes across like people seem naive about how much of their life they would have to sacrifice to organize *anything* effectively and then *maintain* that thing over the long term, let alone a NATIONAL MOVEMENT. You see it so often--a group of folks gets excited about an idea, talks about how "we" are going to do such and such, and then falls apart at the first point of challenge or duress.

That's why I'm telling people--if you haven't done it yet, take a class--even see a lecture--on community organizing. Just so you are prepared for what it's like to do something like this.

But hey, if this effort actually works, more power to you folks. And if you organize a conference call to start seriously planning this effort--organizational roles, base building, media, advocacy, long-term strategy, etc--I'll happily join in if Im' free and see if I can offer anything.