Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLike i said: asking people to change behaviors w/o a clear benefit.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557965
12557965, Like i said: asking people to change behaviors w/o a clear benefit.
Posted by Marla, Tue Aug-26-14 12:53 PM
>to feb for black history month
>
>mlk bday would be black friday
>
>which i feel is an excellent idea
>
>we still bring attention to the issue while not "punishing"
>the kids
>
>it is also an awesome way for our economic power to actually
>be measured via the sales figures generated
>
>even with that, i think we should encourage folks when they do
>buy their gifts to support black businesses whenever possible

At some point the Black community will need to shift the focus from how much we're going to punish ourselves as a means to force White American to acknowledge us. You see those articles about how much more money came in for the police officer than Mike Brown's family? Our economic contribution or withdrawal over the course of one day/month can easily be thwarted. Unless it's a sustained effort over time that encourages a change in behavior, it probably won't be effective. Our dollars are only effective when they are permanently withdrawn and reallocated to benefit us. Not when they are delayed, but ultimately put into the same places.

How long can the U.S. survive without the Black dollar? What percentage of Black people would need to reallocate their funds elsewhere to put a dent in the economy? Where would it go and what can we do with it? How will we help to compensate those who are participating?

Most important to any campaign is will this influence a change in future behavior or is it just a feel good campaign that won't affect any change?

For every dollar Black twitter withdraws White twitter will donate two. How do we overcome that?

Stop asking them to "see" us.