Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThis is kind of the point though...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557956
12557956, This is kind of the point though...
Posted by Lightfoot, Tue Aug-26-14 12:52 PM
>not a single gatdamn idea of your own

Everyone wants to be the one to come up with the big *idea*...ideas mean nothing if you don't have substantial experience organizing.

Honestly--hundreds of thousands of people have sat around coming up with great ideas that have gone nowhere precisely because, once its time for implementation, they get so frustrated so immediately by how fucking hard it is--how much work and patience it takes--to do anything with them. When you know the pitfalls, you see the patterns.

Why not:

a) see what ideas are being enacted locally (or nationally--DC is a good place for that)
b) see how you can get involved
c) build relationships and trust among other like-minded folk
d) build networks
e) learn from that experience
f) if you have the time and you don't feel fulfilled by that grunt work--organize all the okayplayers and their friends to change the country.

That's if you really have the energy for it.

I'm in DC. I know a little bit about local movements. Give me a day or two next month, I could probably give you a short list of folks to reach out to and see how you can help. I can promise you with 98.5% certainty that doing that will lead to more good than this post on okayplayer. If you have the energy for it.