Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYES...and it takes a *lot* of work
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557826
12557826, YES...and it takes a *lot* of work
Posted by Lightfoot, Tue Aug-26-14 12:08 PM
The work that goes in to building *and* sustaining even a very local campaign is more than almost anyone would be willing to do without the promise of a wage or stipend. Grassroots organizing takes an obscene amount of work and patience and little promise of glamour. Most people don't last very long in leadership positions in movements, and even some that do burn out after a while.

My feeling is, if you can't truly commit to the time and energy and patience of *starting* something, then there are plenty of existing efforts that you can join, volunteer for, donate to, etc. It just takes a little research and the humility to do it with very little payoff to the ego. But supporting good local efforts do lead to small victories that create pride and togetherness for those involved.

I did the grassroots organizing thing for a few years. We did some tangible good for the community I was working for in Saint Paul--small steps. Some people I know are still at it--I just moved to a different place career wise (financing some of the nonprofits I'm working for) and in my mentality. Now I'm more inclined to volunteer. I actually offered writing services for the folks that organized the vigil in DC a couple of weeks ago. If I don't hear back soon, I'll have to figure out how to follow up (the organizers had great rhetoric but seemed to miss some opportunities to really sustain the energy).

But that's where it starts--enter your info on a contact form, go to a meeting, see what other folks are doing. If you really give a thorough look around and nobody is doing anything where you are, and you want to really sacrifice to make it happen, then take a training or two on community organizing and get started.