Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"It's a nationwide issue" <--What is "it," though?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557815
12557815, "It's a nationwide issue" <--What is "it," though?
Posted by come on people, Tue Aug-26-14 12:05 PM
And I'm not being snide or snarky. Police brutality? Police militarization? Broader issues of inequality and segregation?

Police brutality...is not really an issue that can be addressed by Congress. Certainly not *this* Congress. It has to be addressed at the local and state levels. Even if you decide to sue your local PD...the specifics have to bubble up locally.

Police militarization...sure. That's a national issue. The President just ordered a review of the program that supplies PD's with miiitary equipment. There will be Congressional hearings and possibly bipartisan pressure to end the practice. That's definitely something that people can organize around nationally. But what about the existing hardware? Do you want the feds to require them to return or destroy the equipment? Does your local PD have tanks?

Broader issues of inequality and segregation....I guess you can raise awareness through a general boycott. To what end though?

I actually think what people are proposing above about "Our kids might not be here at Christmas" is emotionally resonant. But I'm extremely skeptical that you could get folks involved in that without some clear goals. Otherwise they will just change their FB profile pics and KIM.