Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCancelling Christmas is symbolic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557620
12557620, Cancelling Christmas is symbolic
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 10:59 AM
Perhaps the most beautiful thing that it can do is return the focus of the holiday itself on our own family structures and for those who are Christians the true meaning of the holiday. The beauty of it is that it taps directly into what are traditionally seen as conservative ideologies.

But what will really make it work is that we begin utilizing the holidays to continue the discussions around the violence which is creating havoc in our communities. There is a whole month dedicated to buying things and we are saying rather than do that we are going to spend that month organizing around our rights as human beings in this society.

The added bonus is that it sends the economic message that our concerns cannot be ignored. That we aren't going to be pacified by a new news cycle or the handling of one incident but that we *need* to see long term conviction for change which the long term conviction of this movement exemplifies.

To make it affective we don't completely cancel it but push it to black history month and make MLK day the new Black Friday where we will show our buying power.

These are all symbolic things that may not seem directly related but we all know the economy is the primary motivator for change in this country. If we can set our goals right (i'm thinking some sort of legislative push as the end goal) we utilize our economic power to force that to be addressed.

An added bonus for this is that we can float it into the election season and make sure this is a strong talking point in our local elections. We set the frame work so that the 2015 legislative year is about getting the laws in place which will protect our rights in this country.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."