Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSuccinct goals are the first priority
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12557358&mesg_id=12557602
12557602, Succinct goals are the first priority
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 10:49 AM
>1) we need to determine what our demand is. We need to clearly
>articulate our target, desired outcome and consequence if that
>demand is not met

I think it begins with recognizing that the problem is bigger than the individual incidents and accepting that whether or not justice in this particular instance is served without lasting policy which can affect change it's meaningless.

We have to get to the root of the problem which I would articulate as the social engineering of our communities which limit the opportunities for our youth to thrive and live out the American Dream (catch phrase not indication of my belief in the actual dream).

It is under these circumstances that the youth get pulled into life on the fringes where they can be linked to criminal activity and as such dehumanized by the police department which gives rise to incidents like Mike Brown. We need this country to actively invest in opportunities for our youth to break out of this cycle. We also need the police to become accountable to the communities. I'm sure there are some systems in place but it needs to be made policy across the board so that we are the ones in those meetings with the chief's of police regularly deciding how our streets are going to be policed.

>2) who are our community, local and national leaders in this
>effort?

There are lots of organizations but imo they are too fragmented. There needs to be a centralized organization which is utlizing the smaller organizations to spread the message. The leaders need to be local but the messaging national. I'd want to try to put pressure on the congressional black caucus to step up and actually be the political representation. Community organizations to be on the ground. And as stated above religious leaders to be in the ears of the people constantly.

>3) what is required of each individual toward the effort and
>what is the duration?

It is the task of each individual to know their rights, know the objectives and continue to educate themselves on their civil responsibilities to the community.

>4) what is our short term plan to meet our needs during the
>effort? Long term? Meaning, if we boycott stores (for
>example), where/how will we meet our daily needs? As an
>example, during the bus boycotts, we still had to go to work,
>so folx volunteered their cars to take neighbors, etc. to
>work.

The reason I like cancelling christmas is that it's not about day to day needs. In essence it is a luxury we can do without. Save that money, invest it in the cause. I also like the idea of utilizing it later. But I'll talk about that more below. But back to your question in that way it's doable without affecting the day to day lives of people.

>5) how do we compel each other?

Start now and make it a solidarity movement where the primary focus is awareness and education. Everyone is helping everyone else understand what are circumstances are and what needs to be done to affect the change we need.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."