Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthere were several bystanders behind the subject.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12551817&mesg_id=12552658
12552658, there were several bystanders behind the subject.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Aug-21-14 11:39 AM
they're the ones recording w/their phones.

and the guy was a moving target too so at any point where they were aiming for his extremities he could've moved and been in front of a bystander.

plus, bullets be ricocheting off objects all the time.

i'm not willing to agree that police always shoot to kill and never shoot to maim b/c of the Mike Brown case having inflamed my thoughts about police action when dealing w/resisting subjects. i know better. i'm also not going to agree that in this particular case they should've shot to maim. and based on my professional experience i don't think the dead guy's estate has a very strong case in a wrongful death action. but i haven't done much investigation here - i only watched that one video. if i investigated and found other evidence that made for a stronger case i'd change my mind. but knowing what i know now i don't think the police were wrong to shoot. this is an unfortunate case and my heart goes out to the dead guy's ppl over this.

earlier i talked about a similar case i worked on where i really wanted to be able to file an action against the police in that shooting but the more investigation i did the more it was clear the shooting was likely to be found justified and the cops wouldn't be civilly liable. it hurt to tell homie's family what i'd found.