Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecton protocols
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12534767&mesg_id=12536133
12536133, on protocols
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Aug-07-14 11:10 AM
I should probably make it clear that at this point my son is not considered to have cancer. What he's presented with has a high risk of turning into cancer but at this stage it is not. It's a variation of an early detection stage, so that if all goes well he may never get cancer.

What I've learned from this is that there's a whole lot of money in cancer, but not so much when it comes to things like this. this is both with treatments and with research. so on the research in all the effort is being put into 'curing' cancer, substantially less into what actually causes the cancer. so by example the whole genome mapping. they'll wait until you are a full blown cancer patient in a near terminal state before investing in doing a complete genome work up (because of the cost is the rationale) as sort of a last resort. meanwhile there are tons of patients presenting conditions which could lead to cancer but they don't atually map those to figure out what could be leading to the cancer.

on the treatment side of things almost all of the support networks revolve around cancer. i can't tell you how many times I've heard 'well if he had cancer' followed by why i should be thankful it's not cancer. of course i am thankful for that but it doesn't exactly help to know that there's little you can do to help until he actually has it.

i'm probably going to keep saying this but i'm thankful for our situation because it could be so much worse. the things that i find difficult to grasp however just serve as indications as to exactly how hard some others have it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."