Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: so you don't have any specific shows or instances to reference
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12449763&mesg_id=12611886
12611886, RE: so you don't have any specific shows or instances to reference
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Fri Oct-10-14 05:13 PM
I'm not talking about JUST the latest episode. I'm talking about the overall theme of the show. You seem to take this personally (even though it's my opinion) and you're starting a senseless debate which confounds me. You act as though I made a repulsive 'yo mama' joke. The show is lackadaisical. I don't like it. It could be better than what it is. Get over yourself. There are other issues going on in the world besides the fact that I refuse to ride the bandwagon and give a nod to the show. Nice try, though. And yes I will give you references of black shows dealing with/ or similar to "black-ish". Hell, I throw in cartoons (and shows that received poor ratings) in the mix!

Starting from the 1970's on................

Good Times (A black family living in the ghetto, constantly facing social hurdles. Do I need to explain further?)

The Jeffersons (An upper class African American family that still dealt with issues of race)

Roc (Another show about a black family just barely surviving in the ghetto and coming to terms with being black in America)

Family Matters (The show's premise went downhill towards slapstick comedy, but there was one episode that explored discrimination when Laura's locker was spray painted with the N word. Also, there was an episode when Eddie was assaulted by a police officer because he was black)

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Explored MANY race issues)

Everybody Hates Chris

The Parent Hood

The Cleveland Show

I'm pretty sure there are or will be plenty more Black sitcoms to emerge that will explore "black-ish" themes.