Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy whole family kept it light except for my father and his younger brother.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12400896&mesg_id=12401060
12401060, My whole family kept it light except for my father and his younger brother.
Posted by ndibs, Thu Apr-03-14 11:16 AM
On my fathers side. My grandma had 10 kids so I probably have 100 light skin cousins on that side. My cousins kids have light skinned kids.

I think it's a generational thing

50s earlier yeah I think ppl married their color. The color privilige thing was accepted. Light was considered more beautiful and ppl were unapologetic about it.

70s ppl were on that black and proud, black is beautiful so dating black women with brown or dark skin was okay by then. This was my father and his brother.

By the 90s the ppl preferring light skinned folk were dating/marrying white and Asian in addition to light skinned the exception is well off black ppl who expect their kids marry black so they have to go with the lightest woman possible bc a white woman would be shameful.

There are a lot of exceptions. But overall men tend to date lighter unless they're so light they can't find anyone lighter.