Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNot in the market for a car, but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13497616&mesg_id=13501240
13501240, Not in the market for a car, but...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Mar-27-24 10:55 AM
last week, wife and I went to Texas to visit our daughter. One of the maintenance guys that she works with, his wife runs the loaner car program for a local dealership. She hooked us up with a rental for $30 a day. The Joint was a 23 RAV4 XLE. I'm the long haul driver of the two of us. My wife is good for 2 or 3 hours, then she's done. It's a 10-hour drive. I took over with about 7 hours left. First of all...this thing feels like a TANK. It is SOLID. It feels very secure and connected to the road, even when I got a little heavy-footed in corners. I loved the screen. Huge screen. I connected my phone and had my Google Maps up....that whole interface is lovely. One thing that caught me off guard (and to be fair, maybe I would have known about this had this been a car I was actually in the market for and had been researching) was this...I'm a big cruise control guy when on road trips. I'm not trying to be the fastest and switching up lanes and shit. When things are clear, I lock in and enjoy the ride. I was set at 75 and a little ways up, was another car...out of nowhere, the car jerked and slowed down. I thought I was tripping, but it happened again in a different situation and that's when I realized that it kicks off cruise control if there is a vehicle ahead of you. The thing is...it does it when the vehicle is FAR ahead of you. Maybe it's something I could get used to and I didn't investigate to see if that could be de-activated. I didn't love it, though. It felt super heavy-handed.