Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNot really
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13497559&mesg_id=13499155
13499155, Not really
Posted by csuave03, Tue Feb-13-24 10:51 PM
I don’t really appreciate the fact that I didn’t get more information on race and racism growing up.

But I am a healthy adult so I guess that’s the positive and I guess that’s what any parent would ultimately want for his/her child.

Still, my inquisitions have not been laid to rest…

I grew up in Black neighborhoods up until around 13 which I then moved to a more diverse (white & Black) neighborhood.

Went to a Black school up until 4th grade and transferred to a predominantly white school and attended a majority white junior high and high school.

Had Black friends throughout and only socialized with others races solely at school for the most part. I probably went to only one white persons house (a teacher) by the age of 18 and one Asian person’s house and no other races excluding Black.

I’m trying to paint a picture of a life largely impacted by racism but a lack of language to describe it as well as an inability to perceive how it impacted my life due to not having an explanation overtly expressed.

I developed some racial consciousness after going to Washington DC as an adult which is where I heard people speak more freely about racism. I developed more racial consciousness after attending a PWI in California as well as Howard.

It really made me question the quality of my upbringing.

I would imagine I’d tell my kids about racism but maybe that’s because I’m scorned. Not really sure.

I think it’s interesting that some say they were conscientious without being told about it. Also interesting is some saying that a knowledge of racism would lead to an inferiority complex

I wish you insight so you can see for yourself