Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI took the subway and 2 busses to school. Plenty of time to listen to PE
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13497559&mesg_id=13497738
13497738, I took the subway and 2 busses to school. Plenty of time to listen to PE
Posted by nonaime, Wed Jan-24-24 06:12 AM
but also had access to positive images of ourselves growing up (at least during the high school years). NOI used to provide security at the subway stations, so I never experienced the bad cop deal; there were Black classmates who were clearly more well off than some of the white kids in class. So, I didn't internalize any of the blatant racist stuff: I was a nerd and one of the HS teachers...wasn't even my teacher...grilled me with a buncha science questions during class, because he thought I was cheating (on some, no way you negroes can be this good at this stuff). To remember that white guy walking off in a huff makes me laugh even to this day.

I try to do the same for my kids, show them the best of us and avoid the the psychological warfare (aka, local news) as much as possible. I mean, during the lockdowns, we did nothing but watched Black travel vloggers who went to places like Nigeria, Kenya, etc...to have them see how it isn't just a buncha people in huts was a big confidence boost...and hopefully they realize they don't have to be confined to the borders of this country (everyone has their passport).