Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI went pre-kids about 14 years ago. Not sure how much has changed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13483133&mesg_id=13483300
13483300, I went pre-kids about 14 years ago. Not sure how much has changed
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sat Apr-22-23 08:37 AM
but it’s one of those magical places you never forget. I did a SW trip with my now ex-wife in May/June 2009 to Sedona and Santa Fe, NM. Growing up a geography nerd on the East coast, I always had a fascination with the SW. The SW did not disappoint.

It’s hard to believe it’s been 14 years, but here’s some things that stood out:

The drive from Phoenix to Sedona is awesome. You just build elevation before reaching this truly unique place - Sedona. Crazy red rock formations in the middle of a desert. Snoopy rock really stood out. Just a beautiful contrast of the rocks and sky.

Be careful speeding. There’s speed traps and you may get a ticket in the mail. I got at least a few on the trip.

Devils Bridge was my favorite hike. Probably much too dangerous for your kids though.

You feel so small and powerless against the environment. For all its beauty, the West is wild and you’re humbled by that.

There’s a lot of talk about the vortexes and spiritual energy. I didn’t dig deep into that, but there’s definitely a special energy there. Take in the sunsets - they’re magical there.

If you have time, take a pit stop in Flagstaff on the to or back from the Grand Canyon. It’s only like 25 miles from Sedona, but there’s no direct path and you’re going from 4,000 to 8,000+ feet in elevation. It’s completely opposite of Phoenix. Green, mountainous and like 30 degrees or more cooler. There’s definitely a granola vibe to it, but I remember it being a pretty neat city. Santa Fe Brewery had some incredible burgers and good brews too.

The Grand Canyon speaks for itself. Nothing to add there.

If you have time, traveling to Santa Fe is definitely worth your time. Take part on the old Route 66 and go through the heart of Native American lands in the 4 corners. The plaza in Santa Fe is truly something to take in. If you have time, Taos, NM is pretty neat too.

I hope to get back someday with my kids. It’s hard to gauge at this point how much they’d appreciate it though. My good friend just went with his wife and kids (aged 3-12) and they really enjoyed it. It should make for an awesome vacation.