Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat's this sending someone a bill after the fact?!!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13480199&mesg_id=13480216
13480216, What's this sending someone a bill after the fact?!!?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Mar-07-23 08:51 AM
I've seen this argument a few times amongst friends. Someone invites them out to something. They have a good time. Next day (or sometime later) the person sends them a bill for their share.

I know its a common practice (especially among younger people) but I am old school enough that if you want me to split costs of something, you need to let that be known upfront and let me know what the costs are.

The reason this is such a big issue because most of my friends operating under, "you treat this time, I treat next time, it will all be a wash in the end". If that's not how we are operating, just say, "these tickets are X, I'll buy them and you can pay me back later?"

This recently became a big thing within one of my friend groups because one of the dudes invited everyone to an expensive dinner for his birthday. People went and then after the fact he started sending people venmo requests. Dude is baller enough he should have been able to treat. If he wasn't going to treat, he should have told people in advance (or allow people to get separate checks).

But sending a venmo request with no prior discussion is tacky AF.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"