Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's just wishful thinking though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13476915&mesg_id=13476994
13476994, That's just wishful thinking though.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jan-19-23 03:59 PM

I mean sure maybe that song is that good on its own and it doesn't matter who singing the hook it would have blown up. Maybe the song would have done just as well if Jill was left in it. But done better? How Sway?

Its a heck of coincidence that the biggest song they ever released happened to feature one of the biggest charting artists they ever worked with. Hard to think that a no name artist would have achieved the same result no matter how well they sang the song.

Then they also have a song with Jill Scott that has very similar vibes that comes out a few years later that doesn't have nearly the impact.

I get that we don't know how much resources the label put into each record and maybe Easy Convesations would have performed better if it got the same push as You Got Me. Who knows.

What we do know is how well the song did with Badu which makes it hard to see the POV that they made the wrong choice.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"