Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecttrue.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13466938&mesg_id=13467037
13467037, true.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Aug-24-22 09:20 AM
>
>Yeah. Consulting sounds cool to me sometimes. But even with
>that, you have to be interested enough to establish what makes
>the most sense for the company to do, right? And then, AT THE
>SAME TIME, you need at least some of amount of 'hey, if these
>folks screw this up/don't take my guidance, its whatever for
>me. I'll be down the road heading to the next
>department/company'.

Yes, you do need to have interest in helping the client and presenting the options to them. Ultimately it's up to them to make decisions, which the consultant may or may not agree to. You just have to let them run their company even if you think it's not the best route.

>
>Staying at the same place for a long time, you can find
>yourself caring too much about the results of things and it
>can DRIVE YOU CRAZY when things don't go the way you want them
>to.

I've done consulting before, but it was for specific software installs. I would also do the implementation and training. There was push back or a bit of 'if you don't follow this, that's on you' that I had to deal with. I learned to just play my part because I wasn't responsible if they didn't listen or changed something after I left.

I'm in a new space where I'm learning a bunch of new stuff. It's challenging af right now, but once I get a grasp on things, consulting seems like the move. I enjoy teaching people and watching their light bulbs come on.

Right now, I'm doing more respond/react work. Admittedly, a weak area for me. I've tried to avoid this side of things for most of my career. However, since this is my first rodeo in cyber, I thought it made since to see this side. Then branch out later with a boatload of knowledge and new skills.
>
>
>And some people have the right mindset to jump around jobs.
>And it can work out REALLY well for those people. And then,
>sometimes, it can go impressively wrong for people are NOT in
>the right frame of mind for this type of moving.

This was me before my current company. I didn't stay at jobs very long. Never really bought into staying for loyalty. Even at this company, I've had 4 different roles over 3 teams. All but one was my decision to move to something new. It's all about willingness to adapt.

>
>Mainly, there's the people who think all of the good things
>about their old gigs are going to follow them to the new ones.
>And I'm like 'NO! WRONG!'.

It's definitely a coin flip as to what you'll get. Most of my moves have been an improvement. There was a move that I made that I totally regretted in the moment. Worst job I ever had! and that's including every job since McDonald's as a teen.

Turns out, as bad as that place was, it lead me to the next company doing the same type of work, but less of it and more money.