Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSo here's what's going on..according to my guy that's been my buying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13431866&mesg_id=13431905
13431905, So here's what's going on..according to my guy that's been my buying
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue May-04-21 02:08 PM
agent for going on 15 years now....
He's an independent licensed dealer/buyer. He doesn't sell off a lot or anything like that. He charges a flat fee to find and buy the specific vehicle you're looking for directly. I guess you'd call him a concierge dealer?? .

Between me and family members and friends, he's purchased numerous used cars for all of us over the years. It's a HELLLLLUVA lot easier than dealing with dealerships when it comes to used cars. He goes straight to Manheim Auctions (the same place that majority of car dealers purchase from and where probably 90% of used cars in USA flow through) and does the bidding for you...

Anyway...I hit him up when I was narrowing down my choices and started seeing weird shit on Carvana & Carmax with respect to the used prices. I try to do as much legwork as possible before I secure his services so I'm not wasting his time... Anyway...I was originally shopping used 2018 & newer Volvo XC90, Nissan Armada, Buick Enclaves & Chevy Traverses.... Then I starting noticing that they used prices were just dumb high and within $5K of brand NEW prices and even MORE than brand new prices in some instances. He basically told me that the used car market blew up last summer because the new dealers couldn't get sufficient stock of NEW vehicles from the manufacturers to keep up with the unexpected demand of everyone deciding to buy new cars last year because no one wanted to fly anymore.... SOooooo the NEW dealerships with money to burn started buying up as much of the newer used stock all over the country and didn't really bargain, they just spent spent spent and thus the used market prices jumped up...waaay up. In addition, he's noted that they weren't being picky about what they purchased at auction either...they were paying dumb high prices for lemons and dealer buyback vehicles...shit that would normally get flagged at auction and would never sell.... so he said that there's also THAT concern to keep an eye out for. I told him I had been seeing a lot of low LOW mileage 2018 vehicles and I didn't understand how/why...he said that he'd be concerned that they were dealer buybacks or had undisclosed problems that just weren't caught at auction because cars were flying off the shelf so fast... He cautioned me that basically now was a TERRIBLE time to buy a used late model vehicle. He basically told me he didn't want to have his reputation stained buying a crappy car for any of his clients and recommended I buy new if it was feasible....

Turns out..it was very feasible... my brand new 2021 Traverse Premiere Red line came out to $39K... MSPRP is $46K on the trim I got... incentives brought it down to $39K. I JUST got a notice from Carvana regarding a used 2019 Traverse with 18K miles going at a "great price" of $44K... smh...

Market is fckd up for use car buyers...but it's a come up for used car sellers.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"