Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectdriver is deaf
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13352101&mesg_id=13352178
13352178, driver is deaf
Posted by mista k5, Wed Oct-16-19 11:17 AM
saw this sticker on a van yesterday. it confused me. i never considered that deaf or hard at hearing people needed special consideration for driving. made me google it. i guess it makes sense to alert other drivers or police officers that the person driving is deaf so theyre not clueless as to why the driver isnt possibly responding to audio signals.

it also touched on not hearing an ambulance approaching but honestly most of the time i dont hear one over the radio. noticing other cars slowing down or pulling over is usually enough of a signal to look out. looks like they do also sell devices that can give the driver visual signals for such situations but theyre not necessary.

it was interesting to look this up.

that said, i was stopped behind this driver and when the light turned green they took a while to start driving. i considered pressing my horn but...well thats not really my style and then i remembered the sticker lol. to be clear i dont think the slow start had anything to do with being able to hear. i have no issue with deaf people being allowed to drive. just a the more you know moment.