Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHad another observation about dept. vs. dept work culture
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13287881&mesg_id=13287891
13287891, Had another observation about dept. vs. dept work culture
Posted by flipnile, Mon Sep-24-18 11:04 AM
I'm an IT dude, but work with the marketing/PR department. I've ounfd that I'm MUCH more comfortable around the IT weirdos than the PR folks. Folks in IT are seriously weird, yet we all make eye contact and speak to each other. Folks seem pretty calm and self-contained. In the IT department, there's the background hum of servers, quiet hushed voices and people having debates about network setup, databases being upgraded and equipment roll-outs. I just want to smack the ground twice and get to work when I'm down here. My mind can wander and open up, and I'm research new languages and frameworks, thinking about concepts, ideas and design patterns.

Folks in PR? Well, they appear to be normal, but half don't make eye contact or speak to me. There's the grating sounds of the non-stop walkers that drag their feet across the carpet, the dude banging on his keyboard, and loud & boisterous conversations and laughter about everything but work. I just want to leave. I'm in a constant state of reboot when I sit here, as EVERY SINGLE TIME I get the ol' brain booted and loaded with today's tasks, I get blue-screened by a coworker crumbling flip book paper and stapling a new one to the wall right behind my desk. After a while, I can think of nothing but wanting to get the F* away from these people.

The difference for me is literally a day of stress, anxiety and anger vs. a day of relatively-peaceful, quiet productivity. I'm in IT now. The quiet is flowing over me like a warm summer breeze. I'm not going back. Going to force the issue.