Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI see it the opposite. A TRUE New Jack Swing song hasn't been a
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13241517&mesg_id=13241639
13241639, I see it the opposite. A TRUE New Jack Swing song hasn't been a
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Sat Mar-10-18 05:07 PM
hit since 1992, arguably 1993. That's an era that is rarely ever sampled or covered, when you think about it. Even Uptown Funk wasn't a shocker because the early 80's Jheri Curl sound has been around all decade.

But NOBODY seems to acknowledge NJS as a whole...aside from 8-10 songs, you rarely hear NJS on the radio...when's the last time most folks heard Dreamin, Here we go, Honey dip, Don't wanna fall in love remix, etc. etc. on radio?

For Bruno to even love that era enough to make a song in the exact vein of it....like. The last time I can even remember a moderately big song sampling NJS was Nick Cannon taking "Poison," and that was 12 years ago. I don't count "Piece of my love" which is sampled a lot, because it's more of a slow jam/midtempo track. But yeah...to make a single with actual swinging drums is bold as hell, and he pulled it off. If it wasn't as well written and produced, it's no way a single person woulda cared about it. The execution was flawless overall.