Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSplitting the check
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13196109&mesg_id=13196109
13196109, Splitting the check
Posted by rhchick, Wed Sep-20-17 04:42 PM
My experience is to come with cash so I don't have to deal with a card. I split the check equally regardless of what I've had or didn't have.

Now with that being said and including the stress & bullshit factor, I have a dilemma.

Hubby and I rented a house large enough for all our family members - his side and mines.

First mistake.

Then we had to help everyone make travel arrangements.

Second mistake.

Now we're talking about how to split the check for groceries for the extended weekend.

Our idea was to have everyone 'host' a meal. That person/s (if they want to group up with someone else) buys the stuff to feed everyone for that specific meal. Then you don't have to be financially responsible for anything else except for when we go out to eat - which is only going to be 1 or 2x. I'm by no means thinking gourmet, but you can easily throw together a spaghetti meal and it's relatively cheap.

My mom flipped and said she's not going to pay for anybody else. She said they are all adults and can fend for themselves.

Hubby's cousin doesn't think it's fair because she didn't budget to feed 'everyone'. Mind you she's so called budgeting for herself, husband and kid.

Oh and outside of food there are no other activities that require money of any kind.

What's a good solution?