Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectlol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13177191&mesg_id=13178402
13178402, lol
Posted by denny, Thu Jul-27-17 08:30 PM
I don't agree with this at all. Traditional liberals are under attack. This carries some racial implications because of rising popularity of critical race theory in media and social discourse on the one hand....and Trump's rise using racist rhetoric on the other. But black traditional liberals are also under attack (ie being accused of being white supremacists/neo-nazis by the extreme left and simply still being black in regards to Trump's base)

Like I've said several times before. The current cultural war is not left vs right (or black vs white). It's the extremes on both sides vs centrists. Many of those that claim there's a 'war on whites' are just the other side of the extremist spectrum (Trump's side). There are so many similarities between Trump's base and the emerging progressives. They're both authoritarian, anti-science, anti-democratic and anti-intellectual. We are witnessing the horseshoe effect that we all learned in school but have never faced like we are now. This is creating an alliance between traditional liberals and traditional conservatives. Join us and be on the right side of history.

I encourage everyone to read/watch the contributions of John Mcwhorter who claims that this horse-shoeing is the product of social media:

"I think the spark for the current situation is perhaps more mundane than we'd like to think. I don't think that for some reason everybody went crazy. I don't think it's because of the president we happen to have in office. I think it's social media. Social media, especially when you have it in your pocket in the form of the iPhone, allows bubbles of consensus to come together such that you can whip people up in a way that was not possible a generation before, or even ten years before.

It's not only about words but about pictures. And that is more viscerally stirring than pamphlets or that thing called the physical newspaper in the past. And so I think it's inevitable that with the rise of social media you would have this assault on free speech on campus, in the same way that I don't think there would have been a Tea Party if it weren't for Twitter and Facebook. I don't think that it was Obama as the key factor. I think it was the fact that that kind of sentiment could be whipped up to such an extent by these toys that, it's easy to forget what it was like when they didn't exist.

It's what scares me, because social media is not going away."

Intro to Mcwhorter from the Atlantic. Good starting point. Good articles and good podcast(s) too:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/a-columbia-professors-critique-of-campus-politics/532335/