Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: This is his Yeezus...but it's better than Yeezus
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13144603&mesg_id=13145228
13145228, RE: This is his Yeezus...but it's better than Yeezus
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Apr-17-17 07:55 AM
>He's got joints on here that old heads still rock with...but
>I feel like the younger generation is gonna love the shit out
>of this album...

I hear this as his Makaveli but it's of course much more 'thought out'. Who knows if Pac had truly finished that one tho. I remember him commenting before that it was 12 songs but who knows if those were the 12...

I'm guessing the idea for DAMN was to make 'loaded bangers'. Loaded with subtext that is. Maybe he knew that some would listen for the subtext and others would see mike will made it and assume there was nothing going on. Then he tried to bind it all together on FEAR (the best song on the whole thing to me). The one-word all caps titles. The meantioning of those words throughout other songs. Fear. The first song being spent to tell that story and the last spent on telling THAT story. We live in a world where cats are still judging albums based on production credits and hot takes from folks who haven't listened to the album with any other intention besides slagging it to make the tried and true 'point' of 'yawl like this but it's not that great to me'.

Or maybe he pulled a Marvin Gaye Loveman into In Our Lifetime(?)...like he started off with something simple but couldn't let himself do that and only that. There's no telling even if he tells us at some point. Crank Lucas could prolly give us a great explanation..haha.

Whatever it is, I feel VERY good about DAMN so far. I keep coming back to it every chance I get. I've probably listened to it 5-ish times. The first 3 were full on listens.