Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm on the fence after watching the whole thing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13117479&mesg_id=13118254
13118254, I'm on the fence after watching the whole thing.
Posted by denny, Thu Jan-26-17 01:19 AM
The comedy/writing is top notch. We've already covered the black pandering thing of which there are some cringy moments but I was capable of setting it aside for the good stuff.

But I'm not sure about the confessional style thing he did. It kinda reminded me of that Louis CK bit in the episode 'A la Carte' where an amateur comedian goes for a confessional style and Louis tells him he's losing perspective of what he's supposed to be doing. It also seemed a little overwrought and rehearsed. Like he was pretending to be lost for words but in actuality was sticking to a very precise script and planned delivery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...if it works. But I felt like I kinda saw through it. It came off rehearsed, including him being lost for words and the long pauses until he lands on the exact note he was building up to. Didn't feel natural to me. At the same time...I kinda commend him for trying to do something different and somewhat daring. Just didn't think that part was executed well in it's transparency.

There was some golden lines in there though. And this being the first stand-up of his that I've seen....I could totally recognize his writing style from the Chappelle show which kinda persuaded me into thinking he deserves more credit for that show than I previously assumed.