Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLMAO at "outerwear".
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13055310&mesg_id=13055377
13055377, LMAO at "outerwear".
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Aug-10-16 12:31 PM
>Besides the inherent dirtiness of most outerwear (how often
>do people wash hats, coats, gloves, scarves, etc vs. shirts
>and pants).

A regular hat? A baseball cap?

If it's a fishing hat or a construction hat or something along those lines, sure. Otherwise this is a grossly inflated "problem".

Relying on the "outerwear" tag is a misleading catch-all. A rain coat and galoshes? Sure. If you came in from a rain storm, yeah, you need to take off your wet coat before sitting on someone's couch. Otherwise this is absurdly over the top.

>It also gives off the non-verbals of the person
>being not comfortable or relaxed (as if they are about to
>leave).

No, it gives people an assumption. You see people who cross their arms and think "closed off" or "uncomfortable" or whatever and many times people interpret things based squarely on how it makes them feel and that's just plain self centered.

Also, if they aren't comfortable or relaxed, how is that somehow an affront to you? Maybe they aren't comfortable or relaxed and the coat helps them feel comfortable or relaxed.

Or, you know, they're cold. Maybe they're anemic and get cold easily.

It could be a million things yet you actively choose to view each possibility in terms of somehow being an affront to you. Is it such an affront to your sensibilities that you require they make themselves *more* uncomfortable to appease your pettiness?

>The same thing happens with shoes. They are outside gear and a
>lot of people around the world (including me) don't allow
>folks to track shit all through my crib by wearing shoes
>indoors. My kid plays on the floor.

So clean your floor. Anyhow this is far more practical some people are also funny about walking barefoot or in socks a gracious host who isn't selfish and petty would accommodate someone who objected to their no shoes rule.

>Same with sunglasses. A lot of people actually like to make
>eye contact with the person that they are talking to.

Perhaps your guest is uncomfortable making eye contact.

A good host cares more about the comfort of his guest than his petty traditionalism.